Survival of the Fittest

(I'm skipping Spykecam as it didn't offer much good placement for my OC and with what there was it would've been really short.)

Matt's POV

Charles gave us an option survival training at a camp he endorses or with Wolverine. I was outvoted and here we are at the survival camp. Their was our group, a group of kids I don't think I've seen before, and the brotherhood idiots. Sergeant Hawk is giving in introduction. He's a short guy for how intimidating he is.

"You will not be making wallets, necktie racks, or paper weights. You will not be participating in potato sack races, water balloon tosses, or pony rides. You will be taking 20-mile hikes, rappelling 200 foot cliffs, and crossing treacherous water with no more than a rope and all the courage you can muster. Do you read me?" Sergeant Hawk said rather fast, this still sounds way less fun than what Wolverine said he had planned.

"Yes, Sergeant Hawk, Sir." We all said.

"I said, Do You Read Me?" He said even louder.

"Yes, Sergeant Hawk, Sir!" We all said even louder.

"Welcome to Iron Back Survival Camp, a name you won't soon forget. Now. Here we have a young man, Scott Sumner." Hawk says, and I am trying my best not to laugh.

"Summers." Scott corrects respectively.

"Whose scholastic achievements at Bayville High have earned him the rank of group leader. You will be following his lead. You've got ten minutes to stow your gear and report to the training field. Dismissed!" Hawks says, and without another second all the non mutants got their stuff and went to the cabins.

"Oh, I'm going to be dead in, like, two days." Kitty says as she sits on her stuff.

"What about me? I'm a city kid." Evan says.

"And you two are exactly why we are having survival training." I say although it probably has to do with me and Scott getting seriously injured a few weeks ago in the mountains.

"I'm going AWOL. Anyone know how to hot-wire a school bus?" Rogue says look as beau....er... I mean as upset as every other time because she doesn't like people. Yep, that's it.

"Whoa! Whoa! Slow down, private." Scott says stopping her. "Come on, we're not washing out in front of the whole school. Besides Professor X endorses this place." Scott says. It's not the whole school just a bus worth.

"Yeah. At least he gave us a choice.  Survival training here or with Wolverine." Jean adds.

"Some choice." Rogue says scoffing.

"I still think we picked the amateur route." I state.

"Come on, we can do this." Scott says as we all grab our stuff. And Evan is still complaining about being a city kid. Rogue and me round up the tail end of the group.

"Why did you want to train with Wolverine?" She asked me.

"He reminds me of my uncles." I state and she looks at me with a questioning look. "All three of my uncles are scruffy fend for yourselves types. I learned a lot about hunting, camping, fishing, and tracking from them. So, survival training with Wolverine would've been a walk down memory lane. Plus, this is a sports camp essentially." I added as she looks at me.

"Your really close with your family, huh." She asked sounding sad.

"I used to be." She looks at me as I am about to cry. I can feel it. At least that was until I felt her touching my shoulder and rub it.

"What happened?" She asked.

"A long story, that I don't want to share right now. It's just to soon." I say and we look at each other for way to long.