Chapter 14

(Bobby eating lunch at drive in, circa 1960... I like to think you can catch the boyish charm that allured Jackson in his stance in this shot ~Dani 💖)

𝚂𝚘𝚗𝚐: 𝚁𝚊𝚍𝚒𝚘 𝚋𝚢 𝙻𝚊𝚗𝚊 𝙳𝚎𝚕 𝚁𝚎𝚢

********************************************

▶️

We drove back to his house as the sun began to set,  and we were in a much different state than how we had left before. This time, I was holding his hand as we listened to the faint humming of music on the radio. I put my head on his shoulder, and on the occasion that we reached a stop light with no one around us, we'd pause to kiss each other . Sometimes on the cheek, but mostly on the mouth. I loved the kisses on the mouth the most. After all, he WAS my first kiss. One that was based on reciprocated feelings, anyways.

Eventually we drove into the garage at Hickory Hill, and then the sudden realization that we had to return to the former lives we had lived previously struck us.

"What do we do now?" I asked as I looked straight ahead at the wall of the garage.

"We just go back in there and see Ethel. No harm in that. Besides, its not like we have to say anything just yet. Let's just breathe." Robert answered positively as he kissed me in reassurance.

"Yes, you're quite right. Let's just go in there. Ethel is not our enemy, she is our friend." I breathed in and opened the car door and got out. We both slammed our car doors at the same time as we walked up to the back door of the house.

"I love you, Bobby." I whispered.

"I love you too, kid." was the whisper back as we opened the door to find Ethel smiling and cooking away with exceptional ease.

"Well hello, strangers! Where did you two get off to?" Ethel asked cheerfully. It was hard not to love her.

"We went on one of the nature trails nearby. It was a beautiful day to be out and about." Robert answered before I could.

"Indeed, it was quite lovely. I do wish you could have gone!" I added, trying to sound as if I were not having an affair with this woman's husband. What a convincing move.

"Oh, I certainly would have loved to have gone. Bobby, you should take me and the children sometime soon. And of course Jackson if he's available." Ethel smiled as she proceeded to take a rather beautiful and stuffed roast chicken out of the oven.

"I'd love that. I hate that I barely get to see you." Robert replied with a hint of regret in his voice.

"I know, but I'm proud of you all the same. You're doing exactly what needs to be done and for that, I commend you. Now boys, who wants some of my delicious chicken? " Ethel smiled with the greatest charm.

"Me obviously." Robert answered with a chortle.

"I'd like some, thank you." I answered meekly.

I felt Robert kick my foot under the table.

"Yes, Ethel, I would love some, dearly." I repeated in a loud and bitchy tone and kicked Robert in the shin in retaliation. His slight wince in pain gave me great satisfaction at the time, but now I realize he was trying to encourage me to speak out and for myself.

Ethel, apparently as oblivious as the wind to our little boyish spat, replied with "Well, here it comes," as she handed us two heaping plates of roast chicken with gravy, mashed potatoes with brown gravy, asparagus, and a huge roll.

"Holy cow." I said as I set my plate down slowly.

"Yeah, Ethel likes to go all out. Don't you, sweetheart?" Robert asked her.