Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Okay. Deep breaths. It’s just a new school. Nothing to be afraid of. You can do this. Sigh. You have to do this.

The pretty blonde girl on the bus sat with her back straight, her delicate hands folded over the book satchel balanced on her knees. From the outside, she was the picture of feminine poise, her cardigan flawlessly matching the dusky pink roses on her skirt, each curl falling effortlessly around her heart-shaped face. Only she knew the truth, that it was all a façade. That on the inside, she was a mess.

You can do this. You have to do this.

The closer the bus drew to the school, the more desperate her inner monologue became. She wished she was anywhere else. Specifically, she wished she was back in her old town, going back to her old high school. Things weren’t perfect at her old school, but at least she had known people there. Now she would be starting all over, and for her senior year, too.

The bus pulled up in front of the school with a groan and the students spilled out. They streamed off to greet old friends, forming smiling groups, regaling each other with their summer adventures and making plans for the school year, leaving her to stand all alone. At least she didn’t have time to wait around like the others. She felt grateful that she had to stop off at the front office first, even though it would single her out as new, as different.

She could feel curious eyes on her as she walked up the front sidewalk and through the heavy double doors. She followed the hallway to the office, where a friendly-looking older woman in cat's eye glasses looked up from the secretary’s desk. “How can I help you?”

“H-hi,” the girl stammered. “I’m a new student here this year.”

“What’s your name?”

“Taylor,” the girl said. “Taylor Swift.”

The secretary rummaged through some files and assembled the correct papers before sliding them onto a clipboard. “I’ll need you to fill these out, dear,” she said, handing them to Taylor.

Taylor found a seat and began filling out the paperwork. She hadn’t gotten much farther than her name and address when the office door swung open and in walked a girl. Taylor couldn’t help but notice her. It was hard to miss a girl that tall, especially when she was wearing not the typical dress or pencil skirt that was expected—this was 1955, after all—but a pair of straight-legged jeans. Taylor’s eyes trailed upward, past the girl’s lean, T-shirt clad torso to the short hair slicked back and tucked behind her ears. A smile spread across the girl’s face as her striking green eyes met Taylor’s blue ones, and Taylor felt a hot blush spread over her cheeks. She quickly ducked her gaze back down onto the paperwork.

The girl turned her grin onto the secretary. “Good morning, Mrs. Nash,” she greeted her. “Are you ready for another school year?”

“Karlie Kloss.” Mrs. Nash injected a mixture of affection and weariness into the name that hinted to Taylor that Karlie had a reputation. “How many times am I going to see you in the principal’s office this year?”

Karlie chuckled. “We’ll see. You know you’re gonna miss me next year.”

So she’s a senior too, Taylor thought.

She finished filling in the last blank space on her forms, stood, and walked over to Mrs. Nash’s desk, where Karlie was still standing. Taylor felt even more self-conscious than she had before, and just as determined not to show it. She had the feeling that she was failing at that.

Mrs. Nash took the clipboard, did some initialing and stamping and other administrative-looking actions, and  handed Taylor a sheet of pink paper.

“Here’s your schedule,” Mrs. Nash said. “You’ll be in Miss Wilson’s homeroom. It’s in Room 118. Left out of the office, another left, then down the hallway.”

Taylor nodded, but she must have looked confused, because before she could even say okay, Mrs. Nash had turned to Karlie. “Karlie, this is our new student, Taylor Swift. Why don’t you be a dear and show her to her homeroom?”

“Sure thing.” Karlie made a playful salute with two fingers. “After you, Taylor.”

Karlie held the door open for Taylor, who walked through with her mind racing for something to say. She wanted to make a good impression on Karlie. Bad sign, she thought.

“So you’re new here?” Karlie asked.

Taylor nodded.

“Where did you move from?” Karlie prodded.

“Pennsylvania.”

Karlie whistled. “Pennsylvania to Missouri is a pretty big move. Did your dad get a new job or something?”

“Or something,” Taylor said. Technically it was true. Her dad did get a new job, but Karlie didn’t need to know that it wasn’t the reason that her family had moved to this little Midwestern town. “I think my parents wanted a change of scenery.”

“It’s pretty nice here. Sort of small, though.  It can be kinda boring unless you have someone to get in trouble with.” Karlie winked.

Taylor knew that she was blushing, and blushing hard, but there was something about the look in Karlie’s eyes that made her want to be braver than she was. “Maybe you could show me around sometime?”

I didn’t just say that, did I?

A playful look flitted across Karlie’s face. “Yeah, I’d really like that,” she said, but she looked like she wanted to say something more.

 Taylor realized that she really, really wanted to know what that something more was.

But there was no time. Karlie stopped, and they were standing in front of Room 118. Taylor didn’t go in immediately. Both of them hovered, knowing that there was more to say, but neither of them seeming to know how to say it.

“So, um…” Taylor was feeling awkward again, looking down, pushing her hair behind her ear.

Karlie saved her by asking, “Why don’t we do something this Saturday? I can pick you up at your house?”

“That sounds great! I—“

Brrrrrriiinnnngggg!! Both girls jumped as the first bell rang.

“You’d better go,” Taylor said. “You’ll be late.”

“It wouldn’t be the first time,” Karlie laughed. “Where do you live?”

“Roosevelt Street. It’s the big house on the corner.”

“Saturday. I’ll pick you up.”

Taylor nodded and Karlie started walking down the hall toward her own homeroom. Taylor stood rooted to the spot, watching her go.

Suddenly Karlie turned back with a grin. “Welcome to town, Taylor.”

Taylor’s heart flipped in her chest. Maybe this move wasn’t such a bad thing, after all.

Of course, that was just the kind of thought that would get her in trouble.