31.

"Become friends with Malfoy? 'Mione, I don't like the sound of that." Fred admitted. "I know you want to believe the best in people, but he's not a good guy. Maybe one day, but not now."

"He can be. You and I both said it. But he's not going to be if someone doesn't help him. I saw the look on his face when he's trying to go through with what he has to do. He doesn't want to do it, he just feels trapped." Hermione explained.

Fred nodded as he put the last bit of pizza crust in his mouth. "I get that. But you hate him, Hermione. And for good reason. He's not a good person. Maybe one day he will be, but not now. And let's face it. He's not very fond of you either. What makes you think he's even going to want you to be his friend?"

"He won't want me to be. But he needs me to be. He needs someone to be his friend and tell him that he doesn't have to do these things. I'm going to be that person for him, and one day, he's going to thank me for it." Hermione determined.

"Well if anyone can get through to him, it's you. I just hope he's not a lost cause." Fred said. Hermione nodded. "Me too."

"Can I ask you something?" Fred asked as they walked the busy city streets.

"Of course!" Hermione answered.

Fred was silent for a moment, trying to gather his thoughts. "You said you and I weren't together before you came back." Hermione nodded. "And you said you didn't really think of me that way before either. So what changed?"

She stopped and looked him in the eyes and she could tell he already knew. " I die too, don't I, 'Mione?"

Hermione began to cry as she lowered her head and nodded. Then she threw her arms around him. "You did, but you won't this time. I won't let you."

Fred held her tighter as she cried. "I won't. I promise I won't leave you, 'Mione."

"I just hope you're right." She said as she let go. "What if you do?"

Fred shook his head. "Now we know. So we can stop it." He looked her hard in the eye as he placed his hands on her shoulders. "Hermione Granger, I intend to spend the rest of my life making sure that you're as happy as humanly possible. I can't very well protect you from death and danger and unhappiness from beyond the grave."

Hermione couldn't help but smile as she wiped her tears. "No I guess you can't."

"Ok." Fred said with a simple nod of his head. "Then it's settled. I'm not going anywhere for a very very long time."

He put his arms around her neck and pulled her close to him, kissing slowly, as if they had all the time in the world.

"The rest of your life, huh?" She repeated as they started walking again.

"Absolutely." He said. And she could hear it in his voice. He had never meant anything more in his life.