1

"It's on fire! The marriage sedan is on fire!"

Qin Yunuan managed to open her eyes slightly. She was not totally conscious after being drugged.
The fire was burning from under the sedan chair, accompanied by the acrid white phosphorus smell. The fire was out of control as the wind helped it burn. It looked like a fire lantern from afar.

The last thing Qin Yunuan remembered was being fed a bowl of blood bird's nest by her legal mother and carried into a ginkgo wood marriage sedan with relief sculptures covered in gold by the matchmaking woman. On the curtains of the sedan was an embroidery of a phoenix flying towards the sun. What a gorgeous sedan, or what a luxurious coffin in fact. All of this must be prepared for her by her legal mother and her sister.

All along, Qin Yunuan had never wanted to fight for anything. She knew that her status was low in the big mansion of the Grand Commandant. She was just a daughter of a mistress who had passed, with her face destroyed. In what position was her to fight for the favor of the commandant?
Qin Yunuan's greatest wish was to see her younger brother grow up safely and live a bland and peaceful life in the mansion.

However, Qin Yunuan had become a tool of the others after compromising again and again.
This time, her legal mother asked her to marry the cruel, impertinent Iron General, replacing her sister, while her sister married the crown prince on the exact same day and became the princess.
What a cruel contrast it was. One was humble as an insect, while the other was glorious as a peony.
Right before the marriage sedan was lifted out of the Grand Commandant's Mansion, her brother was having a high fever and left unattended. Her wet nurse was beaten to death by the house servants. Her two maids Tong and Maner were sold to the brothel. Even the third concubine of her father who knelt to beg for her mercy was fined three years of expenses.
After all these, her legal mother and her sister were not even willing to let her live.
The raging fire made the whole sedan crackling like popping corns.
Qin Yunuan looked at the deformed sedan frame. She could not move her body as she was intoxicated. She cried for help weakly, but her voice was drowned in the bustle fire.
Right then, a big hand reached in through the smoke, approaching her fearlessly through the fervent flame.
It was so close that Qin Yunuan could clearly see the Kylin tattoo on the muscular arm. His powerful arm hooped around Qin Yunuan's wrist as if he had been trying to test the motion of the person inside. However, Qin Yunuan had no strength at all, just like a dead person.

"Master, the fire is too great. I'm afraid she wont survive." Outside the sedan, someone was carefully testing.

"Save her!" A cold voice that made people shivers said flatly, "She's still alive."

Qin Yunuan smiled bitterly, feeling the compassion and warmth the stranger gave her. The smoke was billowing, and the suffocation swept all over her senses, making it hard for her to breathe. At the moment, all the resentment and unwillingness appeared to be so powerless.
How longing she was to have everything going all over again. If she had another life, she would definitely refuse to compromise like she had. She must fight, for herself, for her brother, for her wet nurse. She must fight!
The fire was burning stronger and stronger in front of her. Qin Yunuan's mind had gradually gone blank. She began to lose consciousness, and her breath. Vaguely, she saw the top of the sedan falling heavily on her, crushing Qin Yunuan along with her dreams for stability and her deep remorse.
It appeared to be a lifetime of torment and unconsciousness before Qin Yunuan suddenly felt her body lightened. It was so light as if only her soul and her spirit had remained, fluttering with the wind.
In the dark, it seemed that someone was calling her.

"Third Miss? Third Miss?"
Could dead people hear too?

"Third Miss? Wake up. Wake up! First Miss has already got off the carriage. Why are you asleep?"
Qin Yunuan was dragged by someone, and she yanked in her consciousness, as if she had been falling. In a panic, she opened her eyes hard.
It was dim with yellow curtains surrounding her. It seemed to be a confined space that was depressing.