My Little Slice of Heaven

"Look, all I'm saying is if you can't do it and you were just saying it to impress me, that's fine," Warren smirked, looking straight ahead as he drove the shopping cart down the aisle.

"I so can, though!" I protested.

"When?" he looked at me, an incredulous look on his face and laughter in his eyes.

"... Sometimes... Okay so maybe I sometimes forget I can teleport, but give me a break!"

"Oh the trials of a Third Generation hero- having so many superpowers you forget you even have some of them must be really hard," Warren countered, nodding in mock understanding.

I scowled at him, grabbing some pens and throwing them in the cart.

"Water manipulation is really complex, and sometimes the adrenaline just takes over and I start running, and sometimes-"

"Don't worry, babe, I'll train you back up. You'll be zipping about the place in no time," Warren winked.

"Oh my hero," I countered monotonously.

"Sup losers?" Zach's shopping cart crashed into our own, and Warren rolled his eyes.

"Hey, you got everything?" I asked.

"Nah- I just need to grab a new notepad. Damn these back-to-school trips really kill my vibe, you feel me?" 

I rolled my eyes with a chuckle, "Sure."

"You'll need these," Will called, throwing a pack of highlighters in my cart as he and Layla steered their own towards us.

"Oh look, Zach, they look just like you!" I gushed.

He rolled his eyes with a smile as everyone laughed, Ethan and Magenta having appeared from around a corner to join us, Magenta throwing Zach a notepad.

"So are we all set?" Will asked, looking around the group and our carts, chock-full of stationary, half of which I could tell you now Warren, Will and Zach won't touch.

We all nodded and made our ways to the check-outs.

"So where do you guys want to go for our last meal?" Layla asked, sounding overly sentimental.

"We're not going to die, Layla- we're only going back to High School," I chuckled, loading the cart's contents onto the conveyor belt.

"To be fair, last time we were there, we nearly did die..." Warren muttered, not missing my eye roll and giving me a playful shove.

"But seriously, Rosie and I have work in like 20 minutes," he added.

"Damn you guys have work today?" Zach asked in disbelief.

Warren and I looked down at the black t-shirts we were both wearing with the red lantern on the chest, and then back to Zach.

"No- we just thought we'd wear matching t-shirts out for fun," I snarked.

"That's so harsh on the last night before school!" he defended.

"Paper Lantern it is then?" Layla asked, looking at Will hopefully.

He sighed in defeat; "Fine."

"Great... If any of you pester me for extra refills like last time, though, someone's getting toasted," Warren muttered, earning a disapproving smack on the arm from me.

"Hi Rosie!" Mrs Lee called to me, before shouting something at Warren in Chinese when she heard the bell above the door ring on our entry.