Ch4 - Our New Recruit

You wake up and look at the view from the window right in front of you. You feel a presence behind you. Your instincts cause you to shoot up and send your fist at the person. He looks at you after dodging your punch and chuckles.

"You got some skills, kid," Steve says

"Will everyone stop calling me 'kid'. I'm seventeen."

"Ok, well, what would you like me to call you? I'm Steve by the way. Steve Rogers."

"I've heard that name before..." You say under your breath "Tony hasn't told you my name?"

"No, and he won't hear it until I introduce you." Tony interrupts.

"Introduce me? To who?"

"The Team. I see you've already met Steve." Tony answers

The two men escort you through a long hallway, just like the one in your old room, where you would train. Steve tells you to stay in the hallway and wait for Tony to announce you.

"That's your cue to come out. He isn't big on small introductions."

Tony starts, "Alright team. I've got some big news about the girl... and some other things."

"It's about time you came out of that damn room," Nat says with a sarcastic tone.

"What's the news, Tony?" Rhodey says, impatiently

"I'd like you all to meet our newest recruit, Ana"

Peter's mind goes blank. It couldn't be her. How could Tony have said nothing to him? He hasn't seen her in years and he's just now finding out she was kidnapped.

You walk in flustered. You look around the table. You haven't seen so many new faces. For years it's just been your doctors and your opponents, now it's friends? A team? And you're expected to fight alongside them all of a sudden? You start directing your eyes all around the table, studying the faces, until you get to one. The kid at the end of the table. He looks up at you and you understand.

"Peter?" you ask, completely shocked. The room goes silent. No one was talking but their minds were rushing with thought. You haven't heard this silence in so long. It would be peaceful if not for Peter sitting at the end of the table. looking at you after 9 years.

Rhodey, not having been present for the first group discussion asks "You two know each other?"

"He's my brother." You say, still in disbelief and you feel a tear fall down your cheek. Something else you barely remember the feeling of, because you were trained not to cry.

Everyone's eyes dart around the room, looking around for some explanation and they all eventually land on Tony. But you don't care. All you're focused on is Peter standing up and walking toward you. Neither of you really know what's happening, after all, it's been 9 years. He quickly wraps his arms around you and you don't feel the urge to fight. You feel safe, for the first time in what feels like forever. You put your arms around him and nearly fall apart, tears come flowing out of your eyes and you're home again. But he flinches at the feeling of your left arm on his shoulder. He lets go of you and rips your jacket off. Everyone's eyes leave Tony and fall back on you and you hear Peter let out a stifled sigh. You throw the jacket back over and look back up at everyone, ready to move on.

"Who are you?" Peter asks

"Peter it's me, please," You respond, trying to keep him from walking away.

"That's not my sister. You're not Ana. Who are you?" Peter yells, letting a few tears slip.

"Peter, that is your sister. She's still your sister." Tony says, adding to the chaos.

"Tony, you need to explain what's going on," Nat says.