New Hope

The Yunki in the video looks triumphant as he throws the rabbit mask to the ground.

:He's amazing! He's gotta be a pro!
:His performance is great! I've got chills!
:All the people there look so excited, lol!
:Wow...I'm a piano major and even I think he's quite talented.
:Where was this piano master hiding all this time?
:Is he going to perform again? I want to buy tickets if he is!

Every single comment compliments Yunki in some way or another...and the video has a LOT of views. It's hard to tell what's going through Yunki's head as he scrolls through the comment.

'He watched the videos and went back to his apartment...' (Y/N) walks down the hall, her hot tears water down her cheeks as she head out.

She gets to the playground in front of Yunki's apartment complex and tries to forget the sting of rejection. 'I hope he knows just how much people enjoy his music...and that people are waiting for him. That I'm...waiting for him.' She looks up at the blue of the sky and watches the clouds go by as she's in her thoughts, 'And...more than anything else, I hope he remembers that he enjoyed it most of all.'

*The next day*

Chaeik spots (Y/N) after the lecture ends and walks over. "Hey, (Y/N)...You're here again."

"Yes. Today, too...?" (Y/N) asks.

"Right. No sign of him today, either. Jeez, Min Yunki..."

(Y/N) feels her heart break a little, "Hmmm...am I just not going to be able to see him?" She feels disappointed, but she's more worried about Min Yunki. 'I'm sure he's miserable...It's even worse now that I'm out of things I can do.'

She trudges home.

While in the apartment complex, Yunki's sitting in front of the computer, hyper focused on the screen.

"I missed a not there. I wouldn't usually make a mistake like that...It's definitely the nerves." Yunki watches his street performance video on loop. "Hmm...Faster here..." Yunki analyzes his own performance in the video. His fingers move almost on instinct. "So that's the face I made...It's still weird, no matter how many times I see it."

He pauses the video on his own smile. His phone beeps with a text alert. He still isn't answering any calls or texts, but his phone is on. The alerts continue throughout the day.

(Y/N):
[Yunki...It's lunchtime. Have you
eaten?]
[You don't have to play the piano,
but you have to eat!]

"I ate...I told you to leave me alone. Ugh, now I feel bad..." Yunki moves his mouse and sighs.

[Application for the International Chopin Piano Competition - Domestic Preliminaries]

"Applications are due today, and preliminaries are next week..." Yunki hadn't even considered applying to such a big competition...until now.

*Flashback*

"You didn't figure it out? This was never yours. Do you really think you're on Ji Sungmin's level?"

*Flashback ends*

"...No, I'm not."

*Flashback*

"That's what I have to teach you: know your place."

*Flashback ends*

Yunki stares at the screen for a while, then picks up his phone to type a message.
.
.
.
A week later, Yunki walks down an empty hallway, sweating profusely as each step echoes around him. But he suckered up his fear and kept walking, trying his best to keep in the anxiety coursing through his veins.
He hears clapping and cheering as he steps closer and closer to the brightness at the end of the hall. Preparing for what awaits him on the other side.