Chapter Three

The longer she lived as the Moon Spirit, the more she saw of the human's unwavering hate. Even after all that they had been through with all the wars they had waged, of all emotions, they still turned to hate instead of love. Anger was an easier emotion to convey than anything else, and people had a lot of it built up in their chests, ready to burst at the seams. The days of peace covered up all the hate that people harbored, but now the days of chaos were back upon them. When the seams did burst, all of the chaos in the world would come to its zenith, whipping people up in its tornado of anger and hate. This storm would traverse across the land, taking everyone it could with it.

She hated when that would happen. La had told her that something like this would happen, but she didn't believe her. She should have. Didn't the people understand that hate took them to places that they would never be able to come back from? By completing actions because of the hate in their hearts, the people would soon be filled with guilt because of what they had done. Hate would lead them down the path most traveled, where they could fight their way to the top of the food chain. Love, on the other hand, would lead them down the path less traveled, where they could walk together, hand in hand. Love was the only way to get through life. The humans below did not seem to understand that, though.

Even this new Avatar was filled with hate. Avatar Korra had been through a lot, yes. She had been poisoned and left dead and paralyzed. There were a lot of things that the Avatar didn't show during the day to the people around her; she seemed to enjoy the nighttime better. Maybe it was because she was originally from the Southern Water Tribe, and the Water Tribe citizens were especially close to the Moon. Or maybe it was because she found it easier to face her demons in the shadows than in the light of the sun. Either way, Avatar Korra had lived in hate for a long time. She let it rule her life, just like every other person alive. Yet, she knew that Avatar Korra would make a difference in this world. She could see the bright future ahead of her, and it would be filled with love and peace.

That future, though, would include a world filled with both Spirits and humans alike. Far down below her, she could see Avatar Korra fighting for the rights of Spirits. The Spirit Portal was open to the rest of the world now. Many people hated the idea of living in a world with Spirits, which scared her. However, many more people thought it was a good idea to incorporate the Spirits into their everyday lives as they had many centuries ago. And as much as she thought the other Spirits would be against it, she was entirely wrong. Many of the other Spirits were now open to living down in the Human World. Yet when she and La went down there centuries ago, they were treated with anger and resentment. What had changed? She wasn't sure. Maybe she had been gone too long to understand her fellow Spirits again.

The thing was, she wasn't going to join them down in the Human World again. She had remained in the Human World for centuries; it was time for her to spend the rest of eternity in the Spirit World where she should have been before. There were many reasons why she wanted to stay in the Spirit World, but the most significant one was the Sun Spirit. He remained in the Spirit World, too, and she wanted to stay as close to him as she could. Their dance hadn't ended yet; no, it kept repeating over and over with her trying to catch up to him only to realize that she had passed by him in a blink of an eye. 

She was tired of living the rest of her life without him. She knew that she loved him down to the depths of her soul, and she was ready to spend her Spirit life with him. They were meant to be together, she knew it. Their past lives had always completed this dance. It was different now, though. The spirit of Yue was in her heart. She knew what actual love was. It was time to stop this dance and put away their dancing shoes to spend forever together. But she knew they couldn't do that, and that was the worst thing for her to even think about.

A tremor ran through her at the thought of forever. Her whole body shook because of the quakes. Forever used to scare her when she was Yue. She couldn't picture what would happen to her or the rest of the world. Now she could. She knew the future just like she knew the past. The future was ingrained in her mind, guiding her path as a Spirit. She could see so many different futures, though, so it was difficult to know which one was the right future for her. The only thing she knew was that she loved the humans down below, and she hoped that they would continue to prosper instead of destroying each other. There was no guarantee about the future of peace, though. Many of the futures she saw contained hate and wars; a small sliver of them contained love. She hoped the light of love would continue to guide these people. If not, they would be destroyed forever.