Chapter 6

You can't form a coherent thought. It feels as though your mind is filled with a fog that you can't chase away. You open yours and squint at the bright light filling the room. After a few seconds your eyes are able to adjust, but what you see makes you gasp. There are photographs covering the walls of you and your team. There are even some of you and Emily together. You felt your stomach churn and your chest tighten. You take a few deep breaths to calm yourself down. You finally remember that you had been sharing the room with Emily and JJ, so you quickly look around for them.

        "They're not there," you hear a voice speak over a speaker causing you to sit in a chair in surprise. The voice is obviously mechanically changed giving you no chance to identify their voice. You realize they were right and Emily and JJ were gone. You feel fear beginning to take over your mind, so you quickly stand not letting it take over completely.

        "Who are you?" you ask the voice. For a few seconds they say nothing.

        "I'm the one that you and that bitch replaced."

        What?? You have no idea what the voice is talking about so you decide to try and search for your team. You try the front door, but it's locked from the inside. How the hell? Stupid old doors. You look around the room for the key, but you can't find it.

        "Did you think it was going to be that easy?" the voice asks amused.

        "What the hell is going on? Why are you doing this?" you ask, but you don't think you'll get a good answer. You were right, because the voice only responds with a 'You'll see'. You roll your eyes and look around the room some more. At first glance the room looks totally normal. Your bags are set out near the beds. You run over looking for your gun and/or badge. You find neither. You sigh and realize you haven't checked the window yet. You dash to the window and throw the curtains open. A feeling of despair fills your chest when you see the window covered with bars. What were you supposed to do now?

        You try prying the bars off the window. You try knocking the door down. You try calling out for help, but nothing works. You slump down against the side of the bed feeling hopeless. Where was the rest of the team? What was going on? Who could this person be? Okay, what do you know. You know that this person has been watching the whole team for some time. For how long though? You stand to reexamine the pictures. You look at the pictures that don't include you. There are definitely pictures where the team looks younger, but there's nothing that can give you a clear year or date. There's one picture of Emily that draws your attention. It's where she looks youngest. She's wearing a dark navy blue shirt with three-quarter sleeves. Her skirt is basically black and it goes just past her knees. She looks disappointed for some reason. You pull it off the wall and hear a quiet clicking. You try to turn the picture over, but the back is attached to a string. The string goes into the wall so you can't see where it leads. You hear the safe on the desk click open. On the back of the photo you do notice a year written in sharpie: "2006". You let the photo hang on the wire and walk over to the safe.

        The safe slowly opens and inside you see a case file. You grab the case and keep the safe open just in case. You open the file. The first paper is a profile on an unsub. There is nothing else typed on the paper. It reads: "The unidentified subject is white and in his late 20's. He's someone you wouldn't notice at first. He's someone who'd blend into any crowd. The violent nature of the crime suggests a previous criminal record- petty crimes. Maybe auto theft. We've classified him as an organized killer- careful. Psychopathic as opposed to psychotic. He follows the news, has
good hygiene. He's smart. 'Cause he's smart, the only physical evidence you'll find is what he wants you to find. He's mobile, car in good condition. Our guess- Jeep Cherokee, tinted windows. The murders have all involved rapes. But rape without penetration is a form of piquerism, and that tells us he's sexually inadequate. Psychiatric evaluations will show a history of paranoia stemming from a childhood trauma- death of a parent or family member. And now he feels persecuted and watched. Murder gives him a sense of power. Organized killers have a fascination with law enforcement. They will inject themselves into the investigation. They will even come forward as witnesses to see just how much the police really know. That makes them feel powerful, in control. Which is why I also think... in fact, I know... you have already interviewed him."