XXIII: Breakthrough

"Let's begin," Ogron said to the fairy and two Wizards as they all gathered together just outside the castle. 

Aiyana put a hand up first, interjecting with, "I'm laying down a ground rule before we start. If any one of you tries the same thing as last time, or if at any point I'm being attacked by all three of you simultaneously without explanation, I'm out. And I mean it. I'll jump right off one of these cliffs into those bottomless chasms below without a second thought, and you can kiss your chances of getting Duman back from Oblivion goodbye. Clear?"

Gantlos chuckled at her sudden brazenness, but nodded in agreement. "Alright, fairy."

"Fine by me," Anagan shrugged, "just as long as you fulfill your obligations here and actually free Duman."

"We're all in agreement then," Ogron concluded, clapping his hands once. Aiyana still didn't like the hint of cruelty in that sly grin of his. "Shall we continue?"

"Yes," Aiyana said, taking a deep breath, "let's just get this over with."

"That's not very optimistic," Gantlos said. "You realize you're the last host of one the most powerful forms of dark magic in existence and you want to just 'get this over with'?"

Letting out an exasperated sigh, Aiyana turned to the Wizard. "So far, all this stupid power has done for me is cause trouble and grief I surely didn't ask for. You'll have to excuse me if I'm not thrilled at the prospect of trying to mess with it again, Gantlos, but thanks for the input."

"Hey, we're doing you a pretty tremendous favor here, fairy," Anagan snapped at her. "We could just as easily kill you here and now -or worse, leave you to deal with that power of yours all on your own, as well as any damage and agony that may come along with it- so you'd be wise not to resort to sarcasm and wisecracks when dealing with us."

Aiyana gritted her teeth and glared at Anagan, but said nothing back. Deep down, she knew he was right, even if she wouldn't admit it aloud. 

"Right," Ogron said, commanding attention back to himself, "Now that we've unnecessarily wasted more time, let's begin."

~<->~<->~<->~

Hours of lessons, advice, and failed attempts at wielding the Eternal Dark passed. 

The fairy had tried training with the Wizards all together, then with just Anagan, and finally only Ogron, but it hardly seemed to making a difference. She now stood with Ogron as he tried for the sixth time to show her how to summon enough magic to expel into a small attack, but every time she extended her hand to unveil the magic, both Ogron and Aiyana's faces twisted into disappointment as there was nothing but empty air at her fingertips. Anagan failed to hold back an audible groan from where he rested against the castle wall a few meters from Gantlos, who looked over to see the speedster holding his head in his hands, upset at the utter lack of progress. 

Ogron had gifted the fairy with an Aviaran charm to help manage her power, but she still seemed too cautious of the Eternal Dark to let down her guard and allow it to work through her. This was hardly news to any of the Wizards -or Aiyana- but none of them seemed to be able to figure out a way around this other than shouting at her to overcome her fears, which yielded no results. 

Gantlos paid close attention to Aiyana's seventh attempt with Ogron, noticing every movement as she once again extended her right arm and tried to summon the energy. And once again, nothing, but this time Gantlos noticed something he hadn't before, as Aiyana's arm went rigid with her extension and her fingers appeared tense and stiff. 

"Stop," Gantlos ordered, getting to his feet and approaching the fairy and Ogron. "I want to try something," he said, nodding to Ogron who left them without objection, apparently glad to take a much needed break.