VII: Return to Gardenia

The Winx stood gathered outside Roxy's house in Gardenia, and all exclaimed excitedly when the youngest fairy appeared in the front door, a surprised grin on her face. 

"Roxy!" the Winx smiled.

"Hi, everyone!" Roxy said, hugging each of the girls hello. "I'm so glad to see you all, but what are you doing here?"

"Well...," Musa began, but hesitated.

"Maybe we ought to sit down," Bloom proposed. 

Roxy nodded and invited everyone inside, ushering them all to the living room. It had been decorated a bit more since they'd last seen it, no doubt Morgana's motherly touch since returning to Earth to be with her husband and daughter. The girls noted the potted daisies on the coffee table and the faint perfumed aroma that pleasantly filled the room. Bloom, Stella, Tecna and Aisha took a seat on the cushioned couches, while Flora and Musa stood leaning against the wall. When everyone had settled in, Bloom patted the empty seat beside her, looking to Roxy, who calmly approached and sat beside Bloom. 

"Roxy," Bloom said slowly, "Ms. Faragonda suspects that the..." Her voice trailed off, unsure of how to say it. 

Stella finished for her, "...that the Wizards of the Black Circle are back."

"What!" Roxy gasped, shooting out of her seat. "But how? We destroyed them in the Omega dimension, didn't we?"

"We don't know how they escaped, or even survived," Musa shook her head.

"We believe they've returned, and are hunting for an Earth fairy," Flora explained with an even voice.

"Another one?" Roxy asked. "I thought I was the last fairy on Earth?"

"As did we," Aisha assured. "But it sounds like they may have found her years ago, and stolen her powers then."

"Then why would the Wizards be looking for her, if she doesn't have her powers anymore?" Roxy wondered.

"Her power is a lot like mine," Bloom answered. "When we were freshmen at Alfea, three witches who called themselves 'The Trix" stole my powers and tried using the Dragon Fire to take over the universe. But my powers are bonded to me, so they only got part of the Dragon Fire, and the rest was reignited from what remained in me. So even if the Wizards did steal her powers back then, the Eternal Dark has likely been rekindling ever since."

Roxy stared at her, bewildered. "The Eternal Dark?" 

"Ms. Faragonda told us it's a very strong form of dark magic," Musa expressed.

Aisha chimed in, "Apparently it was thought to have been extinct for centuries. This could be the first time any magic user has witnessed it in their lifetime."

"All that power in the hands of someone inexperienced and young could prove disastrous for every realm," Tecna warned. "The Fairy of the Eternal Dark is the holder of a very strong energy that she could have no idea how to control."

"So we have to keep the Wizards from getting to her," Roxy determined. 

"Exactly," Bloom nodded.

An older female voice came from around the corner. "Roxy."

Morgana stepped into the room. Even in casual clothes, her elegance radiated and took over. She held herself like a queen, even without her crown. 

"Oh!" Roxy uttered. "Hi, mom. You remember my friends, the Winx?"

"Of course," Morgana smiled warmly at them. "What is this I hear about the Wizards of the Black Circle and the Fairy of the Eternal Dark?"

"We don't mean to impose, Your Majesty," Bloom assured. 

"Hm." Morgana looked around at each of the girls. "And yet, you bring this news of darkness and danger into my house, and to my daughter."

"Mom!" Roxy blurted. "I can handle it. I want to help them."

"Of course you do," Morgana replied. "And that's exactly what they expected you would want, isn't it?"

"Queen Morgana, we don't wish to bring danger to you or your family," Bloom insisted. 

"But we need as much help as we can get," Musa claimed. "Last time, it took all of us plus Nebula to defeat them. We can't defeat them alone."

"Even weakened, they're still to great of a threat to face on our own," Aisha added. 

"They've proved themselves to be exceptionally cunning and deceptive," Tecna joined in. "It would be unwise to face them again with just the six of us."

"Mom, they need me," Roxy pleaded. "And you've seen how my powers have grown these past few months since I've been practicing at Alfea! Not to mention, you always say that experience is the best teacher, and I just know I can do this, if you'll just-"

"Alright," Morgana spoke, silencing the room with a word. "I can see you're needed, Roxy. And that this is what you want. I do not wish to keep you from this against your will." She looked over the room again, making intense eye contact with each of the girls. "But my powers are dwindling since leaving Tir Nan Og to be here with my family, and as such I cannot join you on your mission. I will need the highest assurances from each of you that you will protect my daughter under any circumstances. As you've said: the Wizards are dangerous and ruthless. Roxy must face no harm, am I clear?"

"Mom," Roxy sighed, "I can protect myself. I'll be fi-"

"Am I clear?" Morgana repeated firmly.

"Yes," the girls replied in unison. 

"Very well," Morgana said, her shoulders relaxing. She gave her daughter a somewhat worried smile before quickly hugging her. When they broke off, her eyes were tearful, but she ushered the girls up and out the front door anyway, giving Roxy one last embrace before letting her out. "Go, now, before your father gets home and starts worrying about magic and things he doesn't understand." She addressed the girls now waiting on her doorstep, looking back at the mother and daughter as they said goodbye. Morgana smiled at them. "And good luck to you all."