Chapter Sixteen: Realisations

“Gracias for doing this,” Leslie said thanking her friend, she was a little stuck on how to help Sergio and with the holidays officially over she wanted to focus on getting him better now that they were in the New Year.

David Gomez nodded his head and smiled at Leslie, they had been friends all through training and he knew that a lot depended on her if she was ever going to get Sergio playing again.

“It’s fine… how is it working for a footballer?” David asked curiously, he had missed seeing Leslie at the hospital and he had to admit that no one had seen Leslie going to work for her sister coming; nearly everyone knew about how bad the sisters’ relationship was.

Leslie looked up at the book that she was flipping through, she knew that everyone was curious about her new job and she wasn’t sure what she could say about it.

“It’s fine… a little different from what I’m used to,” Leslie replied turning her attention back to the book, she wanted to find the right way to get Sergio playing again; she had never worked with an athlete like this before and she wanted to do this right.

David nodded his head and sipped on his coffee, he had been surprised by Leslie’s call but eager to meet up with his friend for a catch up in some small café away from prying eyes.

Leslie took a deep breath, things were so tense whenever she went around to Sergio’s house and she knew that Morgan was starting to become a real pain in the ass.

“How is Morgan?” David asked knowing that it couldn’t have been easy for Leslie to be around her sister, the two had never gotten along and David had never liked the younger Wright sister.

Morgan was so used to having everything handed to her on a plate and it worried David just how much the footballer knew about his fiancée’s past.

“The usual…” Leslie replied with a shrug, she didn’t have to explain anything to David since he knew what Morgan was right; the two had gone out on a date once and he had regretted it ever since.

David nodded his head, he didn’t know why Sergio couldn’t see that Morgan was using him; everyone else could see it and it was only going to end in tears if someone didn’t put a stop to it.

“I don’t know why you just don’t tell him,” David muttered messing with his drink, he watched Leslie knowing that Morgan didn’t deserve anything of what she had right now.

Leslie closed her eyes, she knew that her silence didn’t make sense but it wasn’t her problem and in a few months she would never have to see Morgan or Sergio again; she would cut them from her life just as she had done with Janice.

Opening her mouth to replay, Leslie stopped short as Morgan walked into the café with a load of shopping bags; she stared at her sister wondering what she was doing.

“Leslie… there you are,” Morgan greeted with a smile, her heels clicking along the titled floor as she walked over to her sister and her friend; she needed answers and she knew that she could get them here.

David stared at Morgan as she sat down at the table, he had no idea what she was doing but he doubted that she had come for a pleasant chat; he looked at Leslie who looked just as confused as he felt.

“What are you doing here Morgan?” Leslie asked not in the mood to deal with her sister, she refused to have anything to do with her and the sooner that she was done with Sergio’s rehabilitation the better.

Morgan blinked at the tone that her sister used, she knew that Leslie had been upset about what had happened but she had thought that the older woman would have gotten over it by now.

“I came to have lunch with my sister,” Morgan replied simply flicking her hair over her shoulder, she smiled knowing that she needed to know if Sergio was going to recover; she didn’t want to be tied down to someone who could lose her everything.

Leslie raised an eyebrow at Morgan, she wondered if her sister thought that she was completely stupid; she didn’t believe her and she doubted Morgan did anything without a self-serving reason.

“So as I was saying… I’m looking for more exercises that he could use to strength the muscle,” Leslie said turning her attention to Morgan, she wanted to get some advice from David and she was sure Morgan would get bored since she had no idea what they were talking about.

Morgan frowned when the two physio therapists stopped paying attention to her, everyone was usually pampering her since she was someone important now.

“I don’t know… ACL’s are difficult sometimes,” David murmured shaking his head, they didn’t want to overdo it especially since it could cause more damage to the muscle; they didn’t need any repeat injuries coming from Sergio and they had to do this right.

“It was a bad tear… even after the surgery, there will still be issues you’ll need to address when you prepare his exercises,” David continued as Leslie looked through her book, it wasn’t going to be easy and he was sure if anyone could help Sergio then it would be Leslie.

Morgan frowned listening to Leslie and David talk, a bad feeling forming her in stomach as her worst fear was realised; there was a large chance that Sergio wasn’t going to ever recover and that meant his career could be over.

***

“Morgana… is everything okay?” Sergio asked looking to his fiancée as he climbed into bed, she had been so quiet since he had gotten home from lunch with his brother; he worried that something had happened.

Morgan forced a smile and nodded her head, she had spent most of the afternoon preparing for this and she knew that she had come to the right decision; listening to Leslie and David had made her realise just how pointless this all was.

“Just tired baby,” Morgan replied moving to lie down, she had everything planned out and she was sure that things would be better this way; Sergio stared at her for a moment before he nodded his head and laid down.

Turning the bedside lights off, the couple settled down for the night; Morgan stared right at the wall as she listened to Sergio’s breathing, she waited for it to even out before she made her move.

Slowly climbing out of bed to make sure that she didn’t wake her fiancé, Morgan quickly dressed and placed a note on her bedside table along with the engagement ring that Sergio had given her.

Morgan stared at the footballer, she couldn’t stick around on this sinking ship anymore and she knew that she would find someone else; she wanted a footballer who had a flourishing career not one that was now at an end.

Shaking her head, Morgan took a breath before she padded quietly to the door; she didn’t want to wake Sergio and alert him to the fact that she was leaving him.

Morgan didn’t want to fight and she knew that Sergio would plead with her to stay, she wasn’t going to waste more time on him than she had already; she needed to find herself a new footballer that would have the ability to make her happy.

“Adios Ramos,” Morgan whispered closing the bedroom door behind her, her bags were packed and waiting downstairs in a cupboard for her; she couldn’t stay with Sergio anymore without risking what she loved most and she knew that she had made the right decision.

Morgan doubted that she would ever see Sergio again and she didn’t care what anyone thought of her decision.