[04]: The Vauxhall Celebration

1813 London, England

The Duke came to the Reyes house for an informal dinner, and the conversation at the table was Whistledown. "For all we know, Whistledown may be some interloper living in... Bloomsbury, of all places." Xavier Reyes said as he shook his head.

"What should be so terrible about Bloomsbury? That people there actually work for a living?" Vincent asked as he brought some food to his mouth. Cordelia extended her invitation to Violet, Daphne, and Anthony Bridgerton for dinner since Anthony, Xavier, and Simon are all friends. Vincent officially began to court Daphne, and they all sat together at the table.

"She does seem to be someone with access," Sienna said.

"Who knows if Whistledown is even a she," Artemis said.

"That's a fair point." Anthony pointed out.

"Why? Because she is simply too good to be anyone but a man?" Delilah Reyes spoke up.

"Well, I think it is obvious that the writer is Lady Danbury," Artemis said, making almost everyone at the table laugh.

"Lady Danbury enjoys sharing her insults with society directly. She would never bother herself writing them all down." Daphne said.

"Could it be Lady Featherington?" Delilah asked, and Sienna looked over at her sister.

"No!" Everyone at the table said together before it was a chorus of laughter.

"Dear Lilah, the way Whistledown tears apart the Featheringtons in almost everything she writes about them, there is no way it could be Lady Featherington," Artemis said. Cordelia sat at one head of the table while Xavier was at the other head. Cordelia leaned over to Simon.

"You must forgive this rather unruly debate, Your Grace." Cordelia apologized to him, and Simon shook his head.

"Nonsense. I find it entertaining. All of you, at one table." Simon said as he looked around the table. Sienna was seated next to him, Artemis was next to her, Delilah next to Artemis, and then Xavier at the other head of the table, with Anthony next to him, Vincent next to Anthony, Daphne next to Vincent, and finally Violet between Daphne and Cordelia.

"Well, I realize it may be unfashionable, but we like each other. Most of the time. You should join us more often, Your Grace. Perhaps when we travel to our country seat. You would be most welcome." Cordelia said to Simon, and then she spoke louder. "And Violet, perhaps the next time, I would love if all of your family could accompany us for dinner like we used to," Cordelia said, making Violet smile.

"Oh, that would be splendid," Violet said with a smile. That made Daphne and Vincent smile at each other.

"Xavier, I will have your head if you fling another pea at me!" Delilah snapped at her eldest brother. Sometimes, they would throw food at each other to be annoying.

"I am not so sure what you mean, sister. Besides, you cannot tell me what to do. I am older than you." Xavier said, and Delilah rolled her eyes.

"And I am craftier." Delilah said.

"Xavier, Delilah," Cordelia said. The two siblings only stared at each other from across the table, and Xavier had a smirk on his face while Delilah turned to Artemis.

"You know, he does have a presence about him. If rakish dukes were one's thing." She said in a hushed tone.

"And I, for one, am still a firm believer that reformed rakes do not make the best husbands, no matter what Mama says," Artemis said, and the two sisters shared a laugh, while Vincent and Daphne shared a smile, and Sienna and Simon shared a look.