[06]: Another Ball

1813 London, England

"Will it be the rubies or the pearls, miss?" The Bridgerton's maidservant Rose asked as Violet and Charlotte were helping Daphne prepare for tonight's ball. After Vincent had left, Charlotte came to talk to her and said that Daphne should expect a proposal before the end of the season because Vincent practically admitted that he would do it.

And now Daphne was excited.

"Oh, the pearls, of course," Violet said.

"Mama, perhaps the rubies would be better to catch the eye of even more new suitors?" Daphne asked as she took the rubies. Her sister and mother looked at her as if she were crazy.

"Daph, Vincent practically told you he was going to propose to you soon," Charlotte said.

"Yes, but he has not done it yet. Am I supposed to keep all of my eggs in one basket? I must collect more... eggs... in case he were to change his mind." Daphne said. Eloise slightly started laughing.

"Vincent truly has put your head in a spin," Eloise commented.

"More like Lord Berbrooke must spin far away," Daphne mumbled. Although Anthony continually tells Lord Berbrooke that Daphne will not marry him, he persists. It is just another reason why Daphne hopes that Vincent will propose soon because, with a formal engagement, Lord Berbrooke will have no choice but to back off.

"Good Heavens, what is it, Mrs. Wilson?" Violet asked when one of the maidservants came bustling into the room.

"The Queen, ma'am." Mrs. Wilson said.

"Has she fallen ill?" Violet asked.

"Has King George caused her harm?" Eloise asked.

"Her Majesty's royal stationery. She's written to you, my lady." Mrs. Wilson said as she handed Violet the letter. Violet took the note and opened it up, and her eyes scanned over it.

"What does it say, Mama?" Hyacinth asked.

"Patience Hyacinth, she only just opened the letter," Charlotte said to her youngest sister.

"I am invited to a private tea with the queen in two days' time," Violet said with a smile, and all of her daughters smiled too, and then she turned to Daphne. "Never mind the pearls. You shall wear the family diamonds tonight."

Sienna was escorted into the ball by her brother Xavier, while Vincent escorted their mother, Artemis, and Delilah. They were followed in by the Bridgerton's. While Colin and Benedict accompanied their mother and Charlotte, Daphne was on Anthony's arm. When Simon saw Sienna, he immediately approached her.

"A dance, Miss Reyes?" He asked. Lady Danbury saw that Xavier was about to object, so she spoke up before he could.

"I shall need someone else to seek me a glass of ratafia, then. Lord Reyes, do me the honor?" Lady Danbury asked as she offered out her arm. Xavier knew he was bested because it would be insulting to deny her request.

"Of course, Lady Danbury," Xavier said as he took her arm and led her off. When Simon led Sienna to the dance floor, her twin brother Vincent approached Daphne and Anthony.

"A dance, Miss Bridgerton?" Vincent asked. Daphne turned to Anthony, who nodded his head.

The men led their respective partners out to the dance floor.

"Six balls, no more. I must have you at eight... along with a picnic." Sienna said to Simon as they were walking.

"A picnic?" Simon asked.