Chapter Twenty

Mom may not want to look me in the eye or answer me, but I plan to keep staring at her until she does both of these things. All I want is the truth.

When she replies, it isn't much of one. "You heard."

The two words send fury coursing through me. By acknowledging I've heard the news, she's also owned up to knowing what happened. She hasn't tried to deny it. I study her, taking note of the creases on her forehead in the spot between her eyebrows and just above the bridge of her nose. The creases always appear when her stress level is high.

"How long have you known?" I force myself to stay calm. The last thing I need is to let my temper ignite and start an argument. I don't have many options for places to go to simmer down if I do.

Her voice is quiet. "I had a call from an officer on the case this morning while you were out for a run."

"You found out this morning and didn't tell me?" My question comes out louder and more shrill than I intend for it to.

"I was going to tell you tonight. You came back from your run so happy and with plans for the day with Hunter. I wanted you to have fun and not have your mind dwelling on this."

"It's too late for that," I mutter under my breath. I can't look at her, so I occupy myself with removing my shoes and placing them near the door.

"I didn't think there was a risk of you learning about it from someone other than me." Mom's posture is rigid and she sounds defensive now. "How did you find out? Were you looking at something on Hunter's phone, or--"

I interrupt her. "No, actually, and I'd never ask to use his phone to get around your rules if that's what you're thinking. Thanks for the trust, though."

I clamp my mouth shut before more spills out. My sarcasm isn't necessary, and I hope I'm not digging myself into a world of trouble. If I end up on cottage arrest and can't go out for morning jogs or to see Hunter once he's back, the solitude and boredom of staring at the ceiling might be my undoing.

"I do trust you. I didn't mean to imply anything."

"Good, because Hunter is innocent and so am I. A radio was on and I heard the news report." I omit the part about the panic attack I had in front of Hunter after what I heard.

Mom scratches her neck. A faint sigh escapes her. "I'm sorry you found out that way."

"Me too. Do you know how Sawyer is taking it?"

"No. The officer I spoke with didn't mention Sawyer. I think the part about him being on the list is just a rumor."

"One that had to come from somewhere and must have spread pretty fast if it's made headline news in Canada," I point out. "He has to be losing his mind, especially when he's getting ready to go on tour."

I try to imagine what Sawyer must be thinking right now. How would I feel if I was still on the tour and had gotten the news that someone could still be out there in the shadows, waiting to do something unthinkable like what happened at The Domino? While heightened security is guaranteed at every show, the tour has a few outdoor venues in wide open spaces. Security can't patrol everything all of the time.

Mom doesn't reply, so I speak again. "You said you were going to set up a time for Sawyer and me to Zoom," I remind her. "Did you ever text him back?"

"I haven't. I'll do it now."

Mom retrieves her phone from the kitchen table and taps at the screen. A chime sounds about a minute after she sends the message.

"Sawyer wants to know if tomorrow around noon his time is good? He says he's rehearsing right now."