one ; feeling good

Ella Bennett let out a sigh as she stood in the parking lot of William Mckinley High School, taking in the crowds of students in front of the entrance, a trio of cheerleaders sitting at a table, giggling away and ignoring the many stares they were getting from people passing by, a few students sitting under a tree scribbling down something in notebooks, and a group of football players surrounding a skinny boy near a dumpster. Ella quickly turned her back on the jocks, recognizing one of them as Finn Hudson and not wanting him to catch her staring.

Her brother had told her that he was going to walk her to her first class that morning, but the girl he'd picked up on their way to school had dragged him away before he even had the chance to whisper a proper 'good luck', so Ella was alone. It wasn't that she was nervous for her first day of sophomore year, it was that she felt like she might vomit into the nearest trash can, that is if she had been able to shove anything down other than a dry piece of toast and a sip of her brother's coffee earlier that morning for breakfast.

She knew that if she stood there in front of the school any longer, she would either get run over by a car or be late to class, both of which would make her day worse than it already seemed. So she forced her feet to move and walked over to the doors, pulling them open and stepping into the high school, oblivious to Finn Hudson's eyes on her back.

William Mckinley High School was nothing like the high school in High School Musical, which was something Ella had realized very quickly last year. There were no friendly faces, no one breaking into catchy song/dance numbers, and definitely no Troy Boltons as far as Ella could tell. High school hadn't been anything like it was in the movies, or at least freshman year hadn't, but Ella wasn't expecting this year to be much better. She had three years left at the hell-hole that was William Mckinley High School and she was counting down the days. Her brother had called her a pessimist when she'd told him exactly that and had told her to sign up for some extracurriculars to fill her time with.

But extracurriculars would have to wait because the warning bell rang and after a quick glance down at the printed schedule clutched in her hand, she began to wander the halls that hadn't changed one bit over the summer. She made it through the door of the English classroom just as the bell rang and she took the first seat she saw, a table at the front next to a boy in a wheelchair. The boy shot her a small smile in greeting and she smiled hesitantly back before bending over to pull her notebook and pencil case from her bag, already dreading her first class of the day.

.: ⋆*・゚: .⋆

The first day of school wasn't supposed to come with any homework, but it was only lunchtime and Ella already felt like she was drowning in information, papers, reminders, random sticky notes that seemed to get everywhere (the boy she'd sat beside in English, Artie Abrams, had been kind enough to get the one she'd somehow stuck to the small of her back) and her shoulders hurt from her heavy backpack, but she was surviving, somehow.

Her English teacher had brought up the school newspaper during class as an extracurricular he recommended to anyone who enjoyed writing, so Ella was on her way to the newspaper office. The door was open and the only person in the room was a boy with a rather large afro, watching something on his laptop with a creepy smile. Ella hesitated for a second before knocking on the door and the boy immediately looked up, the smile disappearing as he shut his laptop quickly.

"Hi, hello." The boy said, standing up, and Ella noticed his eyes immediately land on her breasts, making her shift uncomfortably.

"Hi, um, is this the school newspaper office?" Ella asked, taking a small step into the room, although her gut was telling her to run screaming from the boy, who was still staring at her tits.