{#4} Into the Water {Merome}

I walked down the small beach again on a Friday night. I was walking to meet my boyfriend like any other Friday night.  Reaching our spot isn’t too hard, if you’re not me, that is. Im not sure how any of this happened because I’m aquaphobic. Well, I do know how it happened… An old friend, whom I must say is an asshole beyond measure. He had forced me to the beach, after I had explained my fear many times.  I had nearly died that day. I would have if it weren’t for Jerome. What a weird day that was. Nearly die but be saved by a -very cute, by the way- mermaid. Merman? Is there a specific? Should there be?

I make it to the large boulder I usually sit on, watching the sun set as I wait for Jerome to appear. In a matter of minutes he does, pulling himself up next to me on the rock.

“Hey babe.” He whispers, smiling lightly, then pecking my cheek. I smile back.

“Hey.” I move myself so I am facing him front wards. "Isn't the sunset beautiful?" I ask, tilting my head to the side, smiling wildly.

“Yup… Just like you!” I snorted with laughter.

“God, Jerome! Why you gotta make it so cheesy?!”

“What? It’s true.” I rolled my eyes as he pulled me into a hug. “You know, I was thinking… Do you want to try to join me in the water? I know-”

“No! No no no no!” I shook my head frantically, staring at Jerome ike he was crazy. “You know I will never, ever, do that.” Jerome sighed, rubbing my arm.

“You sure? I wanted to help you, y’know… Get over your fear, I guess.” He shrugged. “Obviously you don’t want to. I don’t want to make you. But do want to say, I’ll be there, and I’ll help you.” I nodded.

“I understand. But.. It’s the feeling… Have you ever felt it?” Jerome shook his head, shrugging again. “Just the feeling you’re trapped… Or, or stuck…”

“No, I haven’t, sorry. But if you change your mind, just ask.”

“I know.” I say, moving so I’m situated under his arm. I always felt safe in his arms… So the idea of him helping me overcome my fear doesn’t seem like too bad of an idea.

We sit in silence for a few moments more, nothing but the sound of crashing waves. Which by the way is sounding like impending doom, but at the same time calming.

"Hey... Jerome?" I ask, turning to face him. "I think I'd like you to help me into the water."

He smiles. "That's great!" He slides down the rock, pushing himself into the water. The light blue scales on his tail glisten in the remaining sunlight. He reached his hand up for me to take. I hesitate. Do I really want to do this? I know one hundred percent that Jerome would never let anything happen to me. But that lingering feeling is still there. I hesitantly grab his hand, and he pulls me toward the water.

"Oh no... I think I've changed my mind! Jerome!" I yell, panicked.

"Shh... Ahhh, I've still got you." He pulls me more toward the water, then lifts and puts me in the shallows. "See? You're fine. You're doing fine... We're getting there."

I calm down so Jerome can lift me up again. He carries me to a deeper part of the water, the dark blue abyss stares back at me with its single, moon for an eye. The dread stays there in my mind, but not my body.

"Alright. You ready?" I nodded. He kissed my forehead, sinking into the water. Jerome took a deep breath, pulling us under. I shut my eyes tightly, wrapping my arms around Jerome's neck, pulling myself closer.

You can open your eyes, now... I hear Jerome's voice echo in my head. I opened them, the ocean salt stung at first, but my eyes were soon used to it. Jerome kissed me again, parting my lips which sent a rush of air through my lungs. I gave him a confused look.

You can breathe now.  He smiled at me, which I returned.

It’s absolutely wonderful down here. And you live down here. Just… Wow. I heard what I believe to have been a laugh. The sun had now fully set which left Jerome and I sitting in the light glow of a few ocean plants, as well as the moon.

We floated for a while longer, just watching the fish swim peacefully. Jerome began swimming back to the surface. He placed me back on the boulder, and though I was soaking wet, and might catch a cold, it was worth it.

“I actually enjoyed that. I’d like it if you took me back another time.” He smiles warmly, nodding.

“Of course I’ll bring you back. It’s good to know I helped, and that you enjoyed yourself.” His smile grew wider as he leaned back in the water.

“I guess I’ll be going then? Be back tomorrow!” Jerome kissed me again as I stood, a parting gesture. I laughed. “Love you.” He whispered it back, diving back under the water, the splash of his blue tail was the last thing I saw of him as I walked home.

------

Finally. You're welcome~ :p