✦ 01 / MEMENTO MORI

DEAD MAN WALKING,

GOT THE REAPER AT YOUR FEET.

dead man walking, sam tinnesz

▬▬▬▬▬

APRIL 27TH 2021, 11:30 P.M. KST.

The very moment Jeon Jeongguk's life is declared forfeit.

The phone rings.

Its piercing sound resonates in the vintage office, fills the empty spaces between the wooden shelves, scrapes its way along the dusty blackboards and ornate lamps like a bad omen. It's a haunting sound, the classy ringing of the antique black rotary dial phone.

Ahn Hyejin picks up the receiver, her sharp manicured fingernails tap against it, scarlet on obsidian, blood on blood.

"Administration." The operator's voice is gentle, it's got a certain purr to it, a soft lilt that pulls and pulls and pulls until you're trapped in the den of the lioness. It's a lover's tone, but one that promises certain doom.

Hyejin tilts her head elegantly whilst trapping the receiver between chin and shoulder, swiftly inserting a sheet of paper into her typewriter.

"Put a contract on one Jeon Jeongguk."

The voice on the other line is distorted, metallic, a classic.

A tiny smile pulls on Hyejin's corner of the mouth. They never change, the Administration's clients. Always the same tricks, the same games in perpetuum until they've killed each other off, one by one. The operator isn't one to berate her clients but still, a little bravery, a fresh breath of air won't harm them. Seoul's a city of killers after all, a city where gangs, triads, the mafias ― all sorts of street rats and alley kings ― thrive. And yet, none of those fuckers know how to make a grand entrance. Well, except for one, maybe.

"Bounty?" The constant Click Click of the typewriter echoes through the office. The dark-haired woman hits the keys with a certain finality. Another life ready to be reaped, another soul taken to the Underworld.