15 - Back to Square One

Jace

Declan is driving right behind my car, Hope and Jonas with him, and all of their stuff sitting on the free seat space left over. I can feel my heart itching with irritation as I sit next to Aiden, driving past the suburbs of LA, still being able to hear waves washing on the shore.

That must've been Liam fucking Jones. Hope was kissing him like they were about to get married or something. Like he owned her and she owned him. Like they were fucking meant to be. If I hadn't discovered who Jonas was last night, she probably would've made him my son's fucking step-father. I could feel myself wanting to put a bullet in his head when his lips were interlocked with hers. Seeing his hands cup her damn face made my eyes burn.

I know my head's all fucked up when it comes to Hope. Like there's some sort of disconnect in my heart and brain when it comes to her. But I definitely don't like that woman. Infact, I hate her. I hate her for every part she has ever played in my life. So why do I feel a drop in my gut every time some other man touches her?

"We're here, Walter Mitty", Aiden jokes.

"Walter who?", I ask him, thoroughly confused while unbuckling my seat belt.

"Nevermind", he shrugs me off as I notice that we're parked on one of the runways.

We get out of the car and make way to the only plane standing in far sight, the sun slowly setting beyond its wings, leaving behind a buttery golden glow.

"The jet's ready for you, sir", Caleb says, approaching me.

I nod in his direction before climbing up the stairs into the jet. Aiden walks in past me but I pause at the threshold, turn around, and watch Hope do what she does best. Shed some fucking tears by Declan's car.

Two men are helping unload all their stuff while she steps out of the car with Jonas in her arms. She gives Declan a tight hug, and he holds onto her until she's ready to let go. He gives Jonas a light kiss on the forehead and Jonas immediately starts crying. Hope tries to cuddle him in her arms but his hands wildly point towards Declan. Jonas does not stop crying until Hope lets Declan hold him in his arms, swaying and cooing him. Then Hope whispers something in Jonas's ear, causing him to reluctantly shift back in his mother's embrace. Declan rubs the back of her shoulder as she makes her way up the stairs. The man's eyes then turn to me, just once, and his shoulders sag before he watches his sister and nephew make their way up to me.

I walk inside and take my seat, not wanting to witness anymore of this depressing soap opera. But something in my gut still churns at how Jonas clung onto Declan. At the tears on his face and Hope's because of me.

Aiden's already sitting at the back end of the jet, so I take the seat up front that is accompanied by a table. When Hope makes her way up, she takes the seat that faces directly at me from the other end of the table, since there's no other option left. She puts Jonas down on the seat beside her and secures his seatbelt first. Then she moves on to securing hers, all without making any eye contact with me.

"We're ready for takeoff", Caleb announces on the intercom after which I secure my own seat belt.

I take my eyes off of Hope and use them to look at Jonas instead.

It's the first time I notice how his hair's a little darker than mine, a golden brown like Cora's, but he has my eyes. Exactly my eyes. And even my nose. His lips are bright pink from the red popsicle he's sucking on, the bribe Hope gave him for leaving Declan. His eyes never meet mine, and mine never leave his.

Everyday after Cora's death, I laid in my bed at night, completely void and numb of feelings I had felt too much. I had nothing to live for. No one to wake up for everyday once the sun hit my windows. I felt like I could be dead and it wouldn't matter. Like there was nothing I needed to be doing. I didn't see a future in my life because maybe, a dark corner in my heart didn't want one.