30 - A Second Chance

Jace

I don't know how long it's been since I've come back from the hospital. But the windows provide a slightly orange hue to the room, indicating that sunset is only a few minutes away. I stare at the sky beyond the tall buildings before a knock appears at my door. I get out of bed reluctantly and trudge over to the entrance. The lock clicks open as I rotate the button underneath the handle. Aiden pauses for a full moment before coming in after I haul the door just enough for him to enter. Words hesitate to come out of his mouth.

"I thought you might want to... drive Jonas to the hospital soon".

His eyes fail to meet mine as a shot of guilt shoots through me. I completely forgot that tonight is very possibly the last night that Jonas might get to see his mother. That I might get to see her.

"I'll be down in five minutes".

He turns around to leave but I stop him.

"Aiden?".

"Yeah?", he says, his back still facing me.

It's my turn to have words stick inside my mouth. They just fucking refuse to come out.

"I know. You're welcome", he adds, a guttering smile barely appearing on his lips.

He leaves the room without another word but his tone was soft enough to make my fastening heartbeat settle down a bit. So I splash water on my face and wipe it dry before heading down the stairs. Aiden, Mateo, and Luna all sit around the coffee table with Jonas sprawled quietly between them. He walks over to me and throws his arms up. Not in the way that suggests an incoming tantrum, but rather a request for me to pick him up. So I do. His body feels warm against my chest, his usually giggling face is grim now, like he somehow understands the weight on my heart.

None of the other three people meet my eyes. They pick themselves up as Aiden barely manages to get out the next words.

"We'll be right behind you".

I walk down to the basement and seat Jonas beside me before getting into the driver's seat. I twist the key and the engine roars but suddenly, my arms feel too heavy to drive. I take a deep breath and pull out of the parking lot.

To my dismay, there's barely any traffic on the streets. We get to the hospital a little too quickly. Jonas clings closely to my arm as he walks with me up the stairs. I drag my legs along, feeling each step getting harder than the one before. But Jonas's slight grip on my forearm reminds me that I need to keep going.

Jaden and Ethan stand outside her room with grim faces and almost bow their heads down when they see me. They must know what this visit entails.

I can feel the breath being sucked out of my lungs when I step inside the room. The sun has almost set and there's a dark tinge to the walls. Tubes and wires still sit in here like they did weeks ago. Jonas lets go of the grip on my hands and looks up at me with a patient look in his eyes. Like he's waiting for my permission. I give him a nod and bend down to place a gentle hand on his back. He immediately rushes to his mother's side and jumps in an attempt to climb her bed. I walk a couple steps in to hoist him up on it. He nestles into Hope's side, placing his head at her chest and angling his knees toward her stomach. I stand and watch him take in his mother's presence. God knows what it'll do to him if— I refuse to let myself think about that 'if'.

Footsteps soon approach the door and I don't have to look to know it's Aiden, Luna, and Mateo walking in. All of them watch Jonas lie down beside her in solemn silence. They stand by my side for what feels like years bleeding into seconds. Jonas has dozed off on Hope's bed. I turn to Aiden and tell him to go home.