thrëë

CHAPTER TWO: THE TRAUMA

The sound of Mando climbing down the ladder woke her up. Her head shot up in an instant, a reflex that years of fearful circumstance would give you. She calmed when she saw who it was, but chose to stay quiet as he turned his back to her. He looked inside the cot, spinning around quickly when he noticed it was empty.

Jane jumped slightly at the movement, drawing his vigilant eyes to her scrunched-up body. She realized now that he was holding the baby in his arms, making her wonder what time it was seeing as they were both awake.

"What are you doing on the floor?" he asked, letting out a sigh. While Jane took it as a huff of frustration, he was just relieved to see her still there. He didn't know where she could have gone in the middle of space, but it had scared him nonetheless.

'I'm sorry'

Her hands shook as she signed, worrying that he was angry. It wouldn't be the first time she had angered someone by not following directions.

But was the offer a direction?

She honestly couldn't remember if he had requested or ordered her to sleep in the cot, attesting to the fear she felt at that moment. He sensed her fright easily, kneeling to her level and placing the child down on the ground.

"Don't be, I was just worried that's all" he explained, watching as the small boy waddled over to Jane. He curled up against her thigh, nestling himself into the warm blanket. His little breaths made her smile, sensing his contentment as much as she felt her own.

When she looked back up at Mando, he was studying her carefully. Well, as far as she could tell that's what he was doing. Whenever they spoke, he always took the time to look at her face; to actually gauge her emotions. It was becoming more and more apparent that Mando was not like the leader she had previously had. He was more focused on her safety than anything, making her feel more cared for than she ever had before.

"How are your legs?" he asked, touching her shin lightly through the blanket. The contact made her freeze, making him remember her aversion to touch. When he withdrew his hand, she smiled apologetically.

'fine now, thank you'

He nodded softly in response, shifting his body to sit in from of the two children.

From a young age, Jane didn't even know someone could touch you lovingly. It was always a strike, or punch, or push. It wasn't something she made of habit of dwelling on, it just reminded her to stay away from people when they reached out to her.

But since she had met this strange man, she had finally felt that soft touch she so desperately wanted. Even the small contact on her shin had made her heart slow to a steady pulse, a stark contrast to her usual anxious thumping.

'how can you understand me?' she finally asked, letting her thoughts run freely through her guarded mind.

The Mandalorian sighed, bringing his hands up to his chest and signing a perfect response.

'my job requires me to communicate with many different people'

Jane's head stuttered backward in surprise, not expecting him to respond in sign language.

'i've never met someone who signed back to me' she admitted shyly.

'i've never met someone who chooses the floor over a bed'

At this, Jane's mouth opened in a soundless laugh, leaving only breaths in its place. She only allowed the reflex for seconds before clamping her hand over her mouth and falling silent.