föür

She stopped, taking a moment to adjust the baby's hand into the proper sign. The two were sitting on the floor together, still nuzzled under the warm grey blanket while she attempted to teach him sign language.

She figured the simple signs for bathroom and food would help to understand his incoherent babbles, and perhaps it would make Mando's life just a little bit easier. She wondered how such an introverted hunter had become a father, especially considering how helpless the child was. Usually, someone in his position would be far too busy to worry about anyone but themselves.

He cooed as she fiddled with his hand, arranging the fingers into a pinch and showing him how to tap it against his lips. When he did it correctly, she smiled, praising him for figuring it out. His expression mirrored hers and he practiced the sign a few more times, talking to himself in the process.

'good job!' she signed, despite knowing he wouldn't understand it. It was something she had grown accustomed to over the years. Once she learned sign language, she only used it for a couple of years to truly communicate with people before she quit, the main reason being that no one could understand her.

But, she would take her limited free time to practice her words. It had always been a fantasy in her mind; to meet another signer, but fate had brought her to Mando.

and this weird little baby

She giggled her silent giggle, letting the action flow more freely while Mando was away. She had always been self-conscious of her laugh - if you could even call it that. It was more like hyperventilating than anything, just a string of short breaths.

The clinking of metal drew her attention to the ladder, seeing Mando's boots appear first as he descended. At the last few rungs, he dropped down, startling Jane just a bit before he turned to face her.

"Hey"

She waved, watching with slight amusement as he awkwardly stepped towards her before settling against the wall. His arms crossed in a protective nature as if his beskar wasn't enough. Jane noticed that he would often take this precaution around her, always carrying himself in a higher degree, but also acting vulnerable in some way.

He's more sensitive than he lets on

When they had first met only days ago, she thought he was intimidating and scary, but behind closed doors, he seemed much more tenderhearted. The way he treated the child was not like anything Jane had witnessed before, must softer and understanding than her father had been. And to take her under his wing without even knowing her; it was almost too good to believe.

"He likes you" he suddenly commented, tilting his helmet to focus on the little boy who was sitting in her lap. She met his gaze, smiling lightly as she saw him snuggled into her thigh.

"I found where we're going. We'll be there in an hour, give or take" he explained, making her eyes lift once more. She nodded in acknowledgment, still looking up to his visor after he had finished.

He took a breath as if to start speaking again, but no words followed. She figured he had just sighed again, something he was fond of doing, but he was in much deeper thought. No matter how hard he tried, his gaze always wandered to the deep scar under her eye.

It might have been cynical of him, but he was trying to think of what possible weapon could have left such a mark, and so close to the eye without damaging it. At least, it didn't seem damaged.

Another thing he had found strange was her ability to hear him but not speak. He had met many deaf people before, whether it be from an explosion or blaster shot, it was much more common than a mute.