Chapter 10~The rise of the Phoenix

"You look amazing, (y/n)," Mya squeals in excitement.

Mya and Travis have just finished my new hero costume. It took them a month but the wait was worth it. I look amazing.

My new costume is made up of a pair of black shorts and a black crop top. I have a black hooded cape that stops at my lower back. My black boots stop just below my knees and are designed to cushion my landings. I also have a pair of black fingerless gloves that are made of a special metal that's flexible enough not to restrict my movements but hard enough to really hurt someone, though the insides are padded as not to hurt me. My mask is also black and only covers the lower half of my face. It has a built-in microphone to make communication easier. I also have a brown belt to store a few basic medical supplies and hold my new knife on my lower back. The entire outfit is made out of fireproof material and it's hard to cut through. 

There's also one last little secret, something I personally requested, a small symbol depicting a grenade is located on the inside of my cape. 

"I love it," I say, looking in the large standing mirror. 

Travis is nearby, taking notes on anything that might need repairing. 

These two are definitely my new, permanent, costume designers.

"What do you think of the knife, (y/n)?" Travis asks. 

I reach behind me to grab the small blade that was hidden by my cape. It has a simple, yet elegant design. The silver knife resembles a small sword. The golden hilt is adorned with a simple phoenix that appears to be holding the actual blade between its wings. 

The blade is designed so that I can use my quirk to create different one-handed weapons or just make this blade stronger. 

"It looks beautiful, I'm excited to see what it can do in an actual battle," I say, admiring the golden carvings.

The pair do a few quick adjustments to costume, just to make sure that nothing will get in the way during a fight.

Once everything is in order, Mya looks at the clock...before screaming. 

"You're late for hero training!" she squeals. 

Without thinking, I place my knife back in its scabbard and run as fast as I can to the training field.

Once I arrive, everyone is already on the field. I hear Mr. Black ask Katsuki about me.

"I'm here," I call out, waving to get their attention. Everyone looked at me, and most of the boys blush as a result. That's when I remember what I'm wearing.

Kat immediately goes into protective boyfriend mode and starts yelling at all the guys to stop staring. I hide my face in his chest out of embarrassment. 

After everyone calms down, we start training.

"Alright everyone," Mr.Dark announces, "Today we're going to do basic one on one battles, I'll choose pairs but you won't know who you're facing until you have to fight. That way you have to be spontaneous, like in a real battle."

Everyone nods in response and Mr.Dark has the first pair, Amethyst and Catrina,  as the rest of us go off to the side to stretch. 

"So, what's with the new costume, (y/n)?" Max asks. 

"Oh, Mya and Travis designed it for me," I explain, "they said it would help me to move on if I try changing things up. I've already changed the colour of my quirk anyway so why not." 

"What are you moving on from? Did something happen in Japan?" Mira asks, cutting into the conversation,

I nod solemnly, then tell the two of them about what happened. Kat ends up walking over to us to give me a bit of emotional support. During the story, every one of my classmates ends up surrounding me and listening. By the end of it, I'm trapped in a group hug as everyone vows to protect me. 

It feels nice, safe even. 

Soon enough, the battle between Catrina and Amethyst ends. Mr. Dark calls me to the center to fight against the boy with long blonde hair, tied in his usual braid. His name is Zachary Decker.

"Don't think that I'll go easy on you doll~" he says, pulling out a playing card from his pocket. 

I smirk, "didn't I beat you and your entire team last time?"

His smile falters for a moment before everyone bursts out laughing.

"Oof, Zach got burned!" A boy yells.

"Need some ice?" a girl yells.

"That's my teddybear." take a guess.

I tune them all out and wait for Mr.Dark to announce the start of the match.

The moment he does, I run towards Zach as fast as I can. He retaliates by throwing the playing card at me. As I'm about to dodge, it changes, becoming a black door-shaped opening. I end up running right into it and appearing behind him. 

"You can't beat what you can't catch, princess~," Zach says, pulling out another card. 

I can hear Katsuki spewing insults at Zach for flirting with me, but I tune him out for the most part. I need to focus on a plan. 

Why didn't he throw me out of bounds?

Unless... he can't? Maybe he's limited in how far the cards can send someone? He also needs to use those cards to use his quirk. I can use that to my advantage.

After I come up with my plan, I run towards my opponent, pulling out my knife as I do so. 

The sudden presence of the possibly deadly weapon catches Zach off guard, giving me an opening to attack. 

I use my quirk to engulf the blade in (f/c) flames. Then I focus on shaping the flames to create a whip. 

After he regains his senses, Zach doesn't hesitate to throw another card at me, but I'm prepared this time. 

I jump over the card, using my flames to boost my self higher and farther until I'm over top of Zach. 

Zach tries to create another portal but I use my whip to burn the card he uses before he has the chance.

I lower the heat of my flames so that they won't do any damage and wrap the whip around Zach's arms and chest. The moment my feet hit the ground swing the whip and throw him out of bounds, winning the match.

Mr. Dark announces my victory and as I return to where I was stretching. 

"You did amazing teddybear," Kat says, giving me kiss on the cheek.

I smile in return, thanking him and cuddling closer to his warmth, I can somewhat feel the effects of making the whip with my flames. When I overuse my quirk I start to get cold, eventually I'll start coughing up ash too but I didn't go that far this time. 

"You've changed every part of your hero persona." he says.

I shake my head, "there's still one more thing I want to change." I reply quietly.

Kat raises an eyebrow, silently asking me to explain. 

"I want to change my hero name, I don't think I'm much of a dragoness anymore. I want something that better suits the new me."

"What would that be, exactly?" Kat asks with a smirk, he might already have an idea.

"I was thinking 'the Burning Hero: Phoenix'."