Chapter 24~Eerie drives

Three months have passed since the incident with Cindy Reisha. She got to stay in America with us, though she has to deal with morning detention and extra training courses after school hours. 

Honestly, she's been acting strange lately. Sometimes I'll walk by her while she's on the phone and then she'll suddenly start whispering like she doesn't want me to hear. 

It makes me nervous.

I don't think much of it. I figure that her conversations are private and I don't want to intrude.

Now I make my way towards a bus that will apparently be taking us to a hero agency for a tour. It should be interesting. 

I arrive at the front of the school with my hero costume in a case that I hold tightly in my hand. I don't know why but I have a really bad feeling about this trip. I've run a few scenarios through my head about why I might feel this way. So far, I could only think of three reasons. 

1, maybe knowing that I'll be in such close proximity to Reisha for so long is subconsciously setting off my nerves.

2, I might be afraid of an accident happening. Something like a car accident or even just a flat tire.

3, it probably won't happen, but I might be afraid of a villain attack. It's not unheard of for villains to attack hero agencies after all. 

The third option is the least likely, though it sets me more on edge than the others. 

"Oi, teddy bear!" 

Kat's voice breaks through my thoughts. I look up to see my beloved boyfriend right in front of me. I jump a little in shock at the proximity between us. 

"Are you ok, teddybear? You're acting weird," he asks. I feel bad hearing the concern in his voice and reassure him that I'm fine, though that nagging feeling won't go away. 

Kat isn't completely convinced but he seems to let it go for now. Though, he does grab my hand as a silent reassurance. I gladly accept the gesture and grip his hand tightly, pretty much indicating that something is wrong but I'm not willing to share quite yet. Thankfully, Kat is an understanding person, at least with me. He tightens his grip on my hand even more and whispers in my ear.

"I don't know what's wrong, but if I need to kill anyone let me know,"

I can't help but giggle at his words. I give him a quick kiss on the cheek to show my appreciation, to which he gives me a blend of a smirk and a smile. 

The two of us board the bus hand in hand and we end up sitting near each other. Kat sits in the seat behind me with Kirishima while I sit beside Ink. I also notice that a few seats back, Reisha sits in the row opposite to me. I would think that she would rather take the other bus to be as far away from me as possible. 

I shrug it off. She has the right to sit anywhere she wants to after all. 

The class reps take a quick roll call to confirm that everyone's on one of the buses. Once that's finished, the buses start the half-hour journey to what is called the Bubblegum hero agency. 

Since the ride will take a good amount of time, I try to start a conversation with Ink. The actual conversation doesn't really happen, though he does show me a few pieces of art that he made. I happily admire the beautiful pictures that the smaller boy drew.

The first ten minutes go smoothly. Nothing out of the ordinary happens. There are no animals a bit too close to the road, there isn't any heavy traffic, and there are no emergency vehicles in sight. Outside, it's peaceful and quiet. 

Too quiet. 

I look around the windows again and realize that there are no cars whatsoever. We're driving through a pretty dense forest at the moment, but I can't see any animals anywhere. Everything feels very surreal, almost like a dream.

"Hey Kat?" I say, not taking my eyes off the window.

Kat hums in acknowledgment and Kirishima looks at me as well. 

"Somethings wrong," I say. Kat senses the worry in my voice as he immediately looks out the window.

"You're right. Oi! Shark teeth, check your phone." Kat says. 

"What? Why?" Kirishima asks, pulling his cellphone out of his pocket. 

"Check your phone signal stupid," Kat responds, clearly on edge now. Kirishima checks his device. 

"Hey, why don't I have any signal?" Kiri asks, looking at his phone in disbelief. A few others hear him and start to check the signal on their own phones. Sure enough, no one can get a signal.

The loss of our means of communication; the complete silence of the area; the distance between us and the nearest town.

The alarms in my head are going haywire.

I'm looking around for something, anything that can give me a sense of peace. Kat also seems to be on edge now that he's noticed the eerie atmosphere. This only puts me more on edge since he's normally pretty 'calm' in situations like this.

There's silence...

and then...

"DUCK!"