Chapter 26

Belle's POV

          Today is the day of the trial against Eric. I have to sit the next table over from him and listen to all the good and bad things that will be said in the courtroom. Nathan and Jesse will be sitting behind me as well as Luca, Fin, Tom and Kylie. Olivia is being babysat by Nathan's parents as this is way to dark of a subject for that sweet girl to be around. 

          My lawyer, Clarissa, has already called to check in on me and see if I am ready. Do I have a choice at this point? It's the day of, I can't just up and change my mind own if I wasn't ready, I don't think...

          Looking in the mirror at myself I notice just how different I look now compared to a few months ago when I first met Nathan and Luca. My hair has a soft curl to it and a healthy shine. My skin looks perfect, no bruises, cuts or anything of the sort. I look like a normal almost seventeen year old! 

          I rub my fingers over the edge of my dress. The soft material feels fluffy against my skin, not tight or itchy like my old clothes used to be. The dress is a soft blue color and lands just below my knees with three-quarter length sleeves. I slip into my gray sneakers and go to turn around but feel a pair of strong hands wrap around my waist. I know those hands all too well.

          Leaning back into the warm embrace I say," Hey. You sure your ready for today?"

          Fin holds onto me tighter," I'm going to be right there for you beautiful. It's going to be a long day but I will be right there for you."

          I respond," Don't make promises you can't keep."

          I feel his lips touch my right temple," Nothing today will change the way I feel about you. I will be right there no matter what Belle. That's a promise and it will be kept."

          Smiling, I turned around and reach up to give Fin a soft peck on the lips. I feel him smile and lean down to length the kiss. Noticing this movement, I wrap my arms around the back of his neck and curl my fingers into his soft hair. He makes a sound in the back of his throat that I can only guess means he is enjoying this. 

          After what felt like minutes we separate as there was a knock at my door. I call for the person to come in and then my brother's pops up. " We have to get ready to go now. Tom and Kylie will meet us there."

          I nod my head then walk toward the steps, hand in hand with Fin. We reach the bottom of the steps and I see the grim look on everyone's face. "Guys," I get everyone's attention," please, if you all have that look on your face I will never be able to keep myself together."

          Jesse walks over to me putting a hand on my shoulder," Honey, this is a hard day and we are all just trying to prepare to be there for you."

          I give a small smile to her," I know and I appreciate it but I am just trying my best to stay calm as is."

          She wraps me in her arms," We will get you through this."

          We all stood and talked for a few moments before getting in the car. I was in the backseat sitting between Luca and Fin. Each of them held one of my hands for support. I'm so lucky that this family is really mine. Having an older brother so protective and caring to me, a father who loves me endlessly, a step-mother who supports me, and a boyfriend who hasn't left my side. 

           The ride to the court house was awfully quiet and I could practically feel the stress in the air from everyone in the car. Nathan didn't say a word. Jesse tried to crack jokes and start conversations but Luca was the only one responding and he was only doing so to try to calm her down. I sat dead still, fear slowly taking over. Fin rubs his thumb in comforting circles over my hand that isn't doing much but cause a slight rugburn feeling.

          Suddenly the car comes to a quick halt, making me look up. We are here. The giant gray building ahead of us looks even more intimidating that I thought now that we are actually here. Fin opens the door and I scoot to the edge to climb out. As I put my foot down, I miss my footing and start to fall face forward.

          Fin scoops me up in his arms quickly before whispering in my ear," Be careful there love. I can't have my angel getting hurt can I?"

          I blush at his words before continue walking forward. I can see the top of Clarissa's bright blonde head near the steps of the court house. There are cops and people dressed in expensive suits all over the walkway. 

          Nathan calls my name," Clarissa is right there. When we get inside we have to go find our seats while you wait with her. Are you sure you're going to be okay without us?"

          I squeeze Fin's hand hard before saying," Yes, yes I will be fine."

          Luca looks at my hand interlocked with Fin's hand," Don't worry. Belle, you have all of us here for support. Tom and Kylie are on their way and I can't even count how many of dad's friends from work are coming to make sure you are safe. We are here for you. Some day this will just be a distant memory and you will be in college or working or, hell, maybe even having your own kids and living your own life...only a few houses down from me of course." We all laughed at that.

          As we approach the sound of Clarissa's yelling reaches our ears. My stomach drops at the tone she is using and I move closer to Fin who wraps his arm around my waist. Nathan and Jesse look concerned which makes me even more worried. 

          "No! I said that is absolutely unacceptable!" There was a pause from Clarissa," Well you will be hearing from me and the district attorney about this. This is totally inappropriate for this type of case!" She shoves her phone in her pocket before turning around. Her eyes search the area rapidly before landing on me," Belle we need to go right now. The idiots in scheduling made an error and the judge is about to come into the courtroom."

          My eyes go wide," W-wait what? We weren't supposed to start for another hour and a half!" 

          "I know and I am sorry but we have to go right now or the case could be thrown out and Eric will walk free."

           My whole body goes rigid and I go on autopilot following after Clarissa, barely hearing my family yelling in the background. We get to the doors of the court room and enter through the side. First thing I see is the amount of people sitting in the back. Cameras flash as reports snap pictures of me and my lawyer. I see spots but blink a few times to get my vision back.

          We take out seats and then the bailiff gets everyone's attention," All rise for the honorable Judge Martin Oblinary. "

          Everyone in the room stands from their seats simultaneously as the doors facing forward swing open and a man in a black outfit walks to the big seat, the judge's seat. He is an older man, maybe Nathan's father's age? His hair is balding but his eyes hold a soft, kind hue to them. 

          More cameras flash and it causes Judge Oblinary to shoot his head up from his notes and snap," Who said you could take pictures in my courtroom?" His tone was sharp and sent a shiver down my spine. "One more picture and I will remove the whole audience from the room!"

          He reaches for his notes and his eyes skim over them one more time," Bring in the prisoner."

           The door to the left of the room swings open and my blood rubs cold. Eric walks in shackled and a guard at either side of him. His orange uniform makes his skin look sickly and his once soft blonde hair now is long and darkened from the grease. His evil, clear eyes look around the room and then they meet with mine. 

           He smirks at me before blowing a kiss and I knew in that moment that today was going to be the longest day of my existence.