four

True to her word, Ginny crept into the boy's cabin early and woke Rose to return her to the girl's cabin. Harry didn't even hear them, sitting up suddenly an hour later in panic once he woke to see Rose's bed empty and already made.

He looked for her immediately upon entering the communal hall. She was giggling at something Lavender was saying, but she too, looked up as he entered, and the two Potter siblings shared a secret smile.

Ginny and Luna were deep in conversation. Susan, Hannah and the Patil twins seemed to have already made a strong friendship. Pansy was looking lost, sitting near Draco and the other boys. Tracey, the Greengrass sisters and Anthony were on breakfast duty and they already stood behind long tables, ready to begin serving.

Harry waited till Ginny and Luna left their table to go get food, then he hurried to join them. "Hey," he said, to get their attention.

"Hello, Harry," smiled Luna. "Did you sleep well? I did. I dreamed a fairy came and woke me up and together we flew on a magnificent Thestral to watch the mooncalves dance under the moonlight."

"Oh, er, sounds interesting...what's a Thestral?" he couldn't help but ask.

"See, Luna, I'm not the only one who doesn't know what they are," interrupted Ginny. "Morning, Harry."

Luna accepted a plate from Astoria and pointed to the eggs. Harry took the chance to talk to Ginny.

"I just wanted to say thanks again for helping Rose. I didn't even hear you come in this morning," he told her softly.

"I know, you were snoring pretty loudly," giggled Ginny. "By the way, cute Snitch pyjamas." She accepted two plates from Astoria, handing one to Harry.

He blushed. "My mum bought them for me," he replied defensively.

"So you like Quidditch?" asked Ginny. He nodded. "Will you try out for a house team at Hogwarts?" She pointed to eggs and bacon, and Daphne served her, looking annoyed when Ginny gestured for her to keep adding to her plate.

"First years can't play Quidditch," said Harry. "I really don't mind, I just like to fly."

"Me too," agreed Ginny. "Do you have your own broom?" She moved on and nodded at Tracey who was looking after a platter of sausages and tomatoes.

Harry nodded again. "My godfather got me the new Nimbus for my birthday last week. I'll hate to leave it at home when I go to Hogwarts." He shook his head at Tracey and kept moving forward.

Ginny's eyes widened. "The Nimbus '99? Wow, that's a really fast broom, perfect for a Seeker." She snagged four pieces of toast. "Grab us some pumpkin juice, will you?"

"My dad was a Chaser for the Gryffindor team, he's really good," said Harry. He eyed her full plate doubtfully. "Are you sure you can eat all that?"

"Don't be silly," she said, "one piece of toast is for you. Come on," she urged, hurrying after Luna.

Harry grabbed a pitcher of pumpkin juice from Anthony and followed her. He gestured to Neville and Ernie to join them too.

"So, you were saying your dad played Chaser," reminded Ginny, handing him his toast. He poured a drink for Rose, Ginny and Luna, then one for himself before passing the pitcher to Neville.

"Yeah, he told me his name is even on a plaque in the trophy room at Hogwarts," said Harry, proudly.

"Are you talking about dad and Quidditch?" asked Rose, overhearing." Ginny, do you like Quidditch too?"

"I love Quidditch,' replied Ginny.

"Me too. Who's your favourite team? I love the Holyhead Harpies,' said Rose.