Chapter 8: The Future I Choose

The wind rustled through the leaves softly.

I watched the sun rise up from the forest as its warm rays leaked out between the gaps of the trees. 

I took another glance at the kid, who was still sleeping. I didn't dare to move a single inch. I didn't want to wake him up. 

A series of footsteps. My ears perked up. 

Someone... a girl? 

Fluffy's friend? Luna... was it? The one who knows how to communicate with Pokemon?

Quietly, I lifted his head from my lap and set it gently onto the slab of stone. With a quick flash, I bolted out of view, hiding nearby, observing quietly and cautiously. 

"Geez, this Axel, running off into the forest during a thunderstorm and I find him here," she murmured, ruffling a Skiddo's collar as it bleated cheerfully. 

Ah, so his name is Axel. I realised, feeling a sting deep inside, slightly sour about the fact that she knew his name and I didn't.

Mounting off the Skiddo, the girl named Luna approached Axel as a Pichu bounded after her. Sighing, she rubbed her forehead with a concerned and slightly fed-up frown. The Pichu ran up to Axel with a giggle and poked him on the face with its tail. 

"Oi, wake up, Axel." Luna said. 

"Permission to zap?" the Pichu asked excitedly. Its cheek pouches sparkling with electricity. 

She took a glance at Axel judgingly, "we'll have to carry him back." 

"Isn't it easier to just wake him up?" it asked cheerfully with a sly smile on its face. 

Excuse me for a moment, that rat actually wants to hurt Axel?! And wake him up with a zap? No way!

I growled under my breath, restraining myself from charging up to slash it in the face.

"Hm, true, but, let's not do that today," she answered with a wink. 

The Skiddo trotted up and use its Vine Whips to haul the sleeping Axel onto its back.

I watched as they went away, further and further. 

I wanted to chase after them. I don't want to see Axel go again. 

But all I did was stay rooted in place, looking into the distance, holding onto the glimmer of hope that he'll come back. 

Hours passed as I just trailed around the area.

It wasn't until I met him again that I realised how lonely I was. Now that he's gone, I'm all alone again. He probably has more important stuff to do than to play around with a Pokemon like me. On top of that, he'd probably prefer his new human friend over a boring Pokemon like me. 

Moping all over the place and kicking up dirt and pebbles, I frowned.

Just then, an Arbok shot out from the trees, baring its fangs at me. 

Crap! I forgot about the hunters!

Quickly taking a few steps back, I thrusted my palm it, zapping it with a jolt of electricity. 

I slapped my face real hard. No time for spacing out. Focus on defeating your opponents. 

The Ariados scuttled up to me. 

The web trick. 

Swiftly dodging it, I delivered a slash up close, leaving deep scratch marks on it as it jerked back right away. Arbok slithered up to me, shooting poison needles at me. Doing a backflip, I clutched my fist up tight as they glowed brightly. Punching through the attacks, I sent a hard hit right to its jaw.