Our normal (Idk i dont have a title)

Hey everyone! So, going back to little Sophie for this oneshot! Also, make sure you all have the good old anti-homophobia salt for this one🧂
Also yes I know this is a day late, my phone decided to die while I was in the middle of writing this yesterday.

Sophie: Six

After living with their daughter for four years, David and Patrick were getting pretty good at the whole parenting thing. They could tell how Sophie was feeling without even needing her to say anything, and both could handle any problem that was thrown at them... except maybe this.

Well, that wasn't completely true. After Sophie waltzed into their lives, they were fully expecting some homophobic comments to come their way, especially since they were two men raising a kid, but they never expected them to be thrown at a six-year-old girl.

It happened for the first time when David was picking Sophie up from school. As David buckled her into her booster seat, he noticed something off about her, like something was nagging her.

"How was school, Sophie?" He asked her as they started to drive to the store.

"Good!" She cheered, kicking the edge of her seat. "Today, Ms. Katie said that I had the best picture in the class! And then, Madeline told me that my dress was super pretty, and..."

As Sophie babbled on about recess and what piece of candy she earned for getting an addition problem right, David grinned, slowly tuning his daughter out in order to focus on the road. Then, all of a sudden, Sophie asked a question that seemed to suck all of the air out of the car.

"...oh, and daddy?"

"Yes, sweetheart?"

"Is it weird that I have two daddies but no mommy?"

As the words left their daughter's mouth, David felt his heart sink into his stomach. He and Patrick knew this question would be coming, they expected it, but they had no idea it would be coming so early.

"No, it's not weird, but how about we talk about this with Papa, we're almost at the store."

"Okay, daddy!"

The rest of the drive was silent, not a sound was heard except for the radio, which was softly playing a station with random pop songs from the past month. As they pulled into the lot behind Rose Apothecary, David hopped out of the driver's seat and made his way out to the back, taking off Sophie's seatbelt and lifting her into his arms.

"Patrick! We're back!" David called as they walked in, the small bell ringing above them.

Patrick peeked his head out from around the corner and smiled, walking towards his family and taking Sophie out of David's arms.

"Hi, baby girl, how was school?"

"It was good! Ms. Katie liked my artwork!"

"Well that's great, sweetie," Patrick smirked, feeling his heart swell with love.

He looked over at his husband, who had a sad smile plastered upon his face. David's hazel eyes pooled with tears at the lids, making Patrick anxious. Taking his fingers, he wiped the tears before any could spill and looked towards his daughter.

"Sophie, sweetheart, do you want to ask Papa what you asked me in the car?" He asked, stroking his thumb over her arm.

"What did you want to know?"

"Papa, is it weird that I have two daddies but no mommy? Do I need to have a mommy?"

Much like David earlier, Patrick's heart sank to the bottom of his chest, and his stomach twisted itself into knots. Glancing back at his lover, who was now visibly upset, he set Sophie down on the cool marble countertop and tucked wisps of her black curly hair behind her ears.

"No, no, baby, it's not weird, it's perfectly normal,"

"Why don't I have a mommy?"

Her innocent question seemed to take a stab at Patrick and David. They knew she didn't mean any harm, all she did was ask a simple, innocent question, but still, for some reason it made the two of them shiver. Patrick looked over to David, as if they were speaking telepathically, and knowing what he was asking without even needing him to speak, he nodded.

"Well... how do I explain this? Oh, you know how Cinderella is in love with Prince Charming?"

"Yeah because she's the princess and princesses love princes!" Sophie smiled.

"Well, sometimes, princesses don't have to like princes. Sometimes, girls love other princesses,"

"Girls are allowed to like other girls?"

"Exactly, and sometimes, princes love other princes instead of princesses, like how daddy and I love each other. Does that make sense?"

"Yeah! So, does that mean I can love other princesses?"

Her comment made Patrick laugh. People argued that other sexualities and gender identities shouldn't be taught to children because they couldn't understand it, but he had just proved them wrong. Patrick had just taught their six-year-old daughter what being gay and lesbian meant, and it was as simple as anything.

"Of course you can, Sophie," Patrick chuckled, "you can love whoever you want. You see, I only fall in love with handsome princes, while daddy likes everyone; princes, princesses, and even people who aren't princes or princesses."

"Wait, there are people who aren't a boy or a girl?" Patrick nodded, his heart warming at her enthusiasm.

"Why did you think it was weird to have two dads, Soph?"

"Violet said that her mommy said that it was strange to have two dads, that it should be a boy and a girl,"

"Well, Violet's mom is wrong, there's nothing wrong with having two dads. Now, how about you and I go into the back room and do some homework?"

Sophie nodded and giggled, wrapping her arms around Patrick's neck and hugging him tightly. She was too young to fully understand what they were discussing, but as long as they made sure she knew that having two fathers was nothing to be embarrassed about, that was all she needed to know now.

After helping her down from the countertop, Sophie grabbed her book bag and ran through the doorway into the back room where she had a little station set up for homework, where she and Patrick would work together since David was not the one to go for with help on math, even if it was just the first-grade curriculum.

After telling his daughter he would be there in a few minutes, he turned to face his husband, whose expression had not changed since they entered the small shop.

"I can't fucking believe this, David, she's six years old and she's getting homophobic comments thrown at her. What is wrong with people? I didn't think the whole no mom thing would come up for at least another two years," he sighed, placing his head in his hands.

A few moments later, Patrick felt a pair of arms wrap tightly around him, and a pair of lips place a kiss on the back of his neck, nothing much, just a small, comforting gesture.

"I know, I know, I don't want her to go through this, It's not fair to her. But it'll be okay, we can help her out and get through this together,"

And that was a promise they were never going to break. Whenever Sophie needed them, whenever someone said something or batted an eye, they'd be there in a heartbeat, and that would never change.

Hey! Again, sorry this is a day late! I thought this was cute so I hope you enjoyed, I love you all!!