eleven | XI

ミ☆

the girl was more than elated to return to the funeral parlor after being gone for so long. by the time she made it to the city, her gait quickened into a jog, all the way up to a sprint. she could care less about the estranged stares she received from the citizens.

her feet almost doubled over each other as she whipped around the corner, fingers grazing the cobblestone walkway as she sped towards the building. the familiar red entrance grew in size the closer she came.

the doors flung open subsequent to her strong push. the startled expressions of zhongli and inazami were soon replaced with fondness. zhongli calmly stood up from his seat, turning to face the door with arms wide open.

she didn't hesitate to pounce in his direction, barreling into his chest in a desperate embrace. she tightened her hold around his ribcage while his own limbs came to rest lovingly around her shoulders.

"it feels like it's been years," (y/n) mumbled into his chest. a hearty chuckle reverberated within his body that spread warmth through the girl's own.

"i'm glad to have you back in one piece, little miss (y/n). now tell me, where did you wander off to?"

"i could say the same to you," she jousted in return. "i couldn't find you anywhere after the rite of descension... shit went down, z."

he sent a knowing look to inazami, who reciprocated as if some unknown secret was telepathically shared just then.

"while on the subject, i have a favor to ask. would you be willing to accompany me to gather materials for the rite of parting? i decided that the parlor would take care of it, however, i'd have my hands quite full in doing it alone..."

"of course, i'd do anything for you, you know that," (y/n) said with a smile. her hand hovered over her heart like there was an unspoken responsibility dedicated purely to the man standing before her.

zhongli studied her expression momentarily before snapping out of it and matching it almost equally. his amber eyes that reminded her so much of a calm lake during sunset shone with tenderness. his gentle touch caressed the top of her head, much like a proud father toward his child.

"your loyalty couldn't be scathed by the sharpest of blades," he responded.

while the day was young, the pair wasted no time in beginning their search for the various items required for a ritual as such. noctilucous jade of the finest quality would be their first priority, and after haggling with the vendor about prices, they eventually came to the consensus of a discount due to its honorable purpose.

of course, it wouldn't be a trip with zhongli without his forgetful tendencies when it came to mora.

"my apologies, dear," he murmured regrettably, forehead coming to rest on the surface of her shoulder. she leaned her head against his warmly, using her free hand to gently scratch his scalp.

"i'll be your wallet any day. you don't need childe for that anymore,"

he hummed thoughtfully, piquing her attention. "what was the noise for?"

"well... there are certain matters that have been plaguing me as of late," zhongli admitted, lifting his head from its spot. (y/n) quirked an eyebrow at this.