Chapter 6 - Obsidian

This is a mistake...

I kept quiet in the back of the Uber, making sure my leg wasn't touching Isaacs. He and the others were talking loudly with each other, and I looked out the window, staring at the city lights across the East River.

I'd told Sam I was going home early. He said he'd be home around three which I thought was ridiculous.

I didn't know what'd gotten into me. I felt a part of myself regretting the decision to completely ditch my friends and go across the city with a group of strangers. But a growing part of me was feeling excited at jumping into the unknown. That was the part I was afraid of.

My entire life had been normal, ordered. No parties, no underage drinking, no sex. If I went on the same way I'd grow up to be just another average, depressed, deprived member of a broken capitalist society.

Just have some fun for once.

"C'mon." I felt Isaac tap me on the shoulder and realized the car had stopped. I opened the door and he got out behind me. I looked at our surroundings; we were in Chelsea, and across the street was a dark boxy building Obsidian. Music was blaring from inside and I turned, giving Isaac a bored look.

"Wow, a nightclub. On a Tuesday. Very impressive."

Isaac put his arm around my shoulder and led me across the street after the others.

"Have you ever been to this nightclub?" He asked, clearly satisfied with my reaction. I pulled his arm off of me.

"No." Despite it being a Tuesday, there was a long line of people waiting to get in, and two very large intimidating bouncers at the front. I stopped. "Wait, I don't have a fake." I said, looking up at Isaac with crossed arms. He rolled his eyes and pulled me with him, towards the side of the building.

"Listen, Noah." He said playfully as we walked down a dark alleyway. "Do you think I'm an idiot?"

I frowned at him, though he could probably barely see my expression.

"Yes."

He laughed and we suddenly stopped behind Nico in the middle of the dark.

"Well, I'm not."

I opened my mouth to retort but just then a door was thrown open from the side of the building, and I jumped back at its suddenness.

A tall, heavily tattooed girl with fiery red hair gave us a beaming smile from inside.

"You fuckheads took long enough." She said and waved us in.

I stayed quiet and followed the others. The girl gave each of them a hug and a snarky remark, before turning to me. She seemed to be around twenty-five and looked energized, full of life.

"I'm Amber, it's wonderful to meet you," she said and embraced me in a warm hug. She smelled like cigarettes and cheap perfume.

"I, uh thank you, you too. I'm Noah." I said as I pulled away, feeling smaller than ever. She was at least a foot taller than me, in fact, the only person she was actually shorter than in the group was Isaac, and only by an inch or so.

"Well, you boys have fun, just try not to be too obvious, I want to keep my job here." Isaac held up a pinky to her and she took it with hers before letting go and waving us forward.

Amber led us through a narrow hallway that glowed with red light, and the music got louder as we walked through it.

We reached a set of two large doors, and Amber tossed them open for us and stepped back. The room was massive, lit with neon purple, magenta, and red lights. They seemed to come from the floor, the walls, and the ceiling, which was about three stories high. There were two balconies above us and a crowded dance floor ahead.