Chapter 5 - New Habits

No, this can't be right...

I found myself exactly where I'd been the night before. Sure, Sam had told me it'd be a college party earlier in the day, but there were tons of colleges in the city, I expected to end up at literally any one of the others...

I'm here but I think I'll head back.

I sent the message to Sam and glanced around nervously. There was no way Isaac would see me, he probably wasn't even there.

There was a loud crashing noise as Sam threw the doors open to the building and rushed towards me.

"There is no way you're heading back, you just got here." He grabbed my arm and started pulling me in.

"I'll stay for half an hour, tops."

I followed him to the elevator, feeling my nerves tingling. I was on hyper-alert, my mind was jittery. The adderall had had the exact effect I needed, the fatigue had been replaced with energy. But I had a bad feeling about this. I knew it was a big building with hundreds of students... But there was still a chance he'd be there.

Just have some fucking fun for once.

I shook myself from the thoughts, realizing I was being self-destructive. Why would I even care if I saw him? It'd prove my point that I did in fact have plans and that he lost a hundred dollars for being a nosy idiot.

The elevator reached the twelfth floor, and as soon as the doors opened I was met with thundering music. The hallway was dark but glowed with color emanating from the individual dorm rooms, where LED lights seemed to be flashing in all different hues. The doors were all propped open and people were dancing and mingling in and out of the halls. It seemed to be pretty well organized.

"How'd you know about this party?" I yelled to Sam over the music while we walked through the crowds of people.

"Robyn!" He yelled in my ear, and I flinched back, feeling as if he'd burst my eardrum.

Robyn was three years older than us and was pretty good friends with Sam before she graduated. They'd been in the same Spanish class, her one weakness- language. He'd help her with his mediocre skills in exchange for good party connections. I thought it'd been a bit sad and desperate at the time, but his friendship with her had certainly boosted him socially faster than I thought it could.

I never understood why she chose to go to college in the city, rather than go somewhere new and far from home. Then again, NYU would be tough to turn down.

How the hell did Isaac get in?

I let out a sigh, frustrated with myself for yet again, allowing my thoughts to stray to him.

We finally reached David, Conner, and Robyn, who were sitting on a couch in what looked like a common area, the boys talking to a group of girls who were definitely out of their league.

Surprisingly, the girls were giggling pretty hard at one of David's jokes, clutching their sides in laughter. Maybe they weren't as bad with girls as I'd thought.

"Everyone, this is Noah," Sam said once we reached them. Robyn greeted me with a warm hug, and I felt my face heat up, suddenly very thankful for the lack of clear lighting. The rest of the group gave me a mixture of different, awkward smiles. I hated introductions. "Noah, this is everyone." Sam waved over to the group.

"Your name is Noah? Are you Jewish?" The girl nearest to me tipsily grabbed my forearm, her metal bracelets chiming together as she did so. Her touch was light, she had short black hair accompanied by big brown eyes and a charming smile. Her beauty was undeniable.