Chapter 6: Keefe

Keefe stared at Jolie for a few seconds in shock. She had to be kidding. But would she joke about this? Time for his defense mechanism...

"Haha. Very funny. I will totally get the ability to take away other people's abilities. That's just...the smartest thing...ever. Especially coming from my mom."

"Keefe, I know you like to make everything into a joke but I also know that you believe me. That's why I'm here. Together we can destroy what your mom gave you. And I'm surprised you didn't ask me sooner how I fought back your ability when you commanded me."

Keefe twisted his hands, dropping his eyes down to the floor with the confession. "I was wondering about that but it... didn't seem important."

"Well, it is because it's how I learned the secret to controlling an ability." She pulled her sleeves back revealing a small, brilliantly glowing cuff on each arm.

"And am I supposed to know what that is?"

"You should. You've seen it before."

"Wait is that what was controlling Tam?" Keefe's eyes got wide.

"Well... yes. But it's not what you think. It controls everyone differently but it'll help us the same way."

"So you're saying you're an Empath? I thought you were a Flasher!"

"Yup. I'm both. I manifested both of them when I turned fourteen but I kept empathy a secret. But that's a story for another time. As I was saying, these guys," she dangled her wrists jubilantly, "help me resist ability control."