Chapter 20: Dex

Dex wasn't actually there for what happened between Sophie and Fitz so fear rushed into his veins. This was worse than by being kidnaped by the Neverseen, giving Sophie the crush cuffs, or even the look on Sophie's face when they put the horrible, no despicable ability restrictor on her head.

Actually, no it wasn't. Watching the Council force a weapon that he made on her head without him able to do anything about it had haunted Dex's dreams ever since it happened.

Same with being kidnapped by the Neverseen. Dex still had the fingerprint shaped scar on his stomach from when Fintan burned him, even though it had happened a little less than three years ago. Dex could still hear Sophie tortured screams of pain whenever he thought about the dark cave.

Honestly, giving Sophie the crush cuffs paled in comparison to all the other awful things that had happened to Dex. Because the crush cuffs were just... embarrassing. Dex had even known before he gave them to her that it wasn't a smart decision but... some part of him had thought that maybe she liked him.

Turned out she didn't.

Not at all.

But Dex was past the disappointment.

Hopefully.

Well... this time Dex was facing Grady. And for some reason it made his spine tingle because he was Sophie's Dad.

Grady let out a scoff.

And Sophie, a long sigh.

This really could be worse than all the bad things in his life that had ever happened because he was in the middle of some strange teenage-love-problem thing.

Not that he wasn't used to that already but...

This was different.

Sophie had always been so oblivious all the other times before that it was actually kind of funny to watch all the drama play out. But now that she was finally realizing what the "battle playing under her nose" meant, things seemed even more serious than they ever had before.

Dex always thought that it would be forever until he had to actually deal with this kind of stuff, but now that he thought about it, everything was always much closer than he realized.

"Yup, even Dex." Someone said. Dex looked around, puzzled, was he missing something?

"How could you Sophie, I mean, Dex?!" Grady pointedly told Sophie.

What was going on? Sophie looked so frustrated.

His feelings were mixed, Sophie was HIS first kiss, and Fitzphie never happened. In all honesty, Dex liked the idea of Team Foster-Keefe, however Grady didn't.

They seemed way better for each other, almost like it was meant to be.

With Fitz, Sophie was always so awkward around him but with Keefe, she looked like she was finally relaxing a bit.

Or maybe those were his biases against Fitz.

Dex still wished things had gone differently than being completely rejected by Sophie. Still anyone other than Fitz seemed okay if they were dating her.

Dex always felt jealous of Fitz but now with Keefe, he would be lying if he didn't feel a tiny twinge of jealousy knowing what was going on. Still it wasn't the same as with Fitz.

"Sophie?" This time it wasn't Grady saying her name.

Dex looked around quickly until his eyes found the person approaching them.

Who happened to be Keefe.