[28] coyote catching 101

┌─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───┐
chapter twenty-eight!
COYOTE CATCHING 101
└─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───┘

( more bad than good, pt

( more bad than good, pt. ii )

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

VERA DUMPS HER backpack on the floor immediately after entering her house. The action creates a loud thud in the otherwise empty home, announcing her arrival to nobody except her cat— her mother is still at work. The sound of Hades' paws pattering against the hardwood floors makes her mood brighten in an instant. She bends down to greet him as he comes into view, his tail high and welcoming meows filling the air, so she can scratch him under the chin.

"You have a cat." Isaac doesn't say it like a question, more like a statement that holds more weight than it ought to. He edges inside and shuts the door with his foot with his wary gaze locked on the orange animal. Hades, intrigued by the newcomer, steps forward to thoroughly investigate Isaac's shoes.

"Yes, and he's my pride and joy, so if you don't like cats, you can get out and find a different ride to the preserve," Vera shoots back without missing a beat. Her voice holds no mirth because she's not joking— she'd once had a classmate come over to work on a project and had felt mortally wounded when they'd pushed Hades away in disgust.

"I have no opinion on them," he replies, still staring at the cat, who has decided that Isaac's aura is suitable and has started to rub against his shins. Seeing such a tall guy being so cautious around a small cat is almost enough to make her laugh. She smirks instead, rising to her feet.

"A wolf is afraid of a cat? That's ironic." Vera walks around to the front of the nearest sofa, plopping down onto the cushion and immediately tucking her legs underneath her. She closes her eyes with a sigh and leans her head back against the cushion. "Peace and quiet. Hard to come by in this town."

"It won't last forever," Isaac unhelpfully reminds her, making her crack one eye open to glare in the direction of his voice. His footsteps make it easy to track his movements from the foyer to where Vera sits. A pressure on the other cushion indicates he'd sat down. "Whenever Allison's ready, we'll be on our way to somehow do the impossible and hope that coyote is Malia and not, like, a regular coyote."

Vera lifts her head up and opens her eyes. "Stiles was right— you really do need to work on your optimism."

"Yay, I'm sniffing pee," Isaac sarcastically drawls, producing a syringe filled with a few milliliters of yellow liquid from his backpack at his feet and then shoving it back into the front pocket. "I'm having the time of my life. Really feeling like this is where I peak. How's that for optimism?"