Chapter 4

Dazai didn't linger at Chuuya's apartment for too long after the events, the boss had sent Kouyou and her underlings to watch after Chuuya for the week. (He could have just as easily sent a nurse or even left the Chibi alone, but Dazai imagined that Kouyou had put up a fight to see him. They were very close, those two.)

Though that left one problem, the cat. When Dazai was in the act of shoving it into the small cabinet under the sink to hide it from the older executive, he turned to see Chuuya leaning heavily against the doorway, an unimpressed look in his fever hazed eyes.

"What do you think you're doing?" His voice sounded like it belonged to a chain smoker.

"Eh.." Dazai sat up from his crouched position, bumping his head against the cabinet on his way up. He rubbed the back of his head, mentally cursing the cat that had yowled, tumbling out of the hiding place. "Hiding your animal?"

"And why's th-" Chuuya broke off the sentence to cough into the sleeve of his sweater, it was one of those chest-rattling coughs that sounded absolutely disgusting.

Dazai scrunched up his nose, "Gross."

Once Chuuya recovered from his coughing fit he leveled Dazai with a reprimanding look. "The cat, Dazai."

Dazai rolled his eyes, nudging the thing with his foot closer to Chuuya for the redhead to pick it up. "I called in sick for you, you're welcome, by the way."

"Yeah, whatever."

"But it seems that unfortunately I must return to work and go on the next mission all by myself and even fill out the reports."

Chuuya stared at him blankly "That's the job description. What does that have to do with you trying to... hide my cat?"

"Well if i'm not here to graciously look after you then who do you think will?"

Chuuya sniffled "I don't need anyone to 'look after' me-" Then the information processed, and his face turned a little green.

He promptly turned to the toilet to throw up.

"Right... Well, Ane-san should be here soon and she will not be amused to know that you allowed this demon into your living quarters."

It took a full minute for Chuuya to regain his motor functions and return to his feet, but when he did he looked slightly shaken, but with an idea in mind.

Dazai already knew what he was about to suggest and it was a definite 'no.' No way in hell would he watch the demon. Chuuya was the reason he had gotten into the situation, he should be the one to get himself out of it.

"No Chibi, I will not watch your hellspawn."

Chuuya looked up to him with defiant eyes, though the intimidation factor was drowned out by his obviously sickly state and his crippling shortness. "What do you mean 'your,' She's your cat too, you know."

Dazai was quick to deny that accusation "I do not recall ever claiming that."

"You didn't have to. We found her together, in fact, you were the one who knew where she even was. Take responsibility because I am not going to be the only one taking care of her."

Dazai stared down at Chuuya for a full minute, locking gazes with the fuming redhead. Dazai couldn't tell if his face was red from anger or the fever (possibly both) and the only reason Chuuya was standing right now was because his pride demanded it of his sore body.

Dazai sighed in defeat.

And that was how he ended up with the cat hidden under the folds of his coat as he inconspicuously walked past Kouyou down the hallway.