Backstory

About 17 years ago my mom went on vacation with her family to Hawaii. They have a beach house there that they go to for a couple months in the summertime. She ended up meeting my dad and they spent an amazing summer together, but at the end of the summer my dad told my mom that he enlisted in the navy and would be going away. My mom was so brokenhearted that she broke up with him after he left and never told him that she was pregnant with me.
After having me, my mom met my idiot stepfather and married him. He was a drunken, abusive, rich guy that took advantage of my mom's broken heart. Mother had told me that my father had died while serving and was a hero, but never showed me any pictures of him. She tried to convince me that my stepfather was a good man and that he was just having a rough time, but I never believed her. Unfortunately, she passed away in an accident when I was 6 and I was left to my stepfather. He hated me, and tried to get rid of me, but I always made life hell for my foster families so I kept getting returned to him. He hated me so much, he blamed me for my mother's death, and would take his anger out on me.
On my 16th birthday I got a letter from my grandfather telling me that my father was alive and well in Hawaii and that I was welcome to use their beach house if I ever decided to go find him. That's literally all he told me, oh and apparently I have inheritance money from my mother that my stepfather can't get to. So I decided to pack a bag, sneak out of the house during the night and go find my dad.
When I got to Hawaii, I had no idea where to start so I went to the beach house that my grandfather had told me about in the letter. After unpacking my bag at the house, I decided to go for a walk. And that's where my troubles started...I was walking through the little town near the house and admiring all the cute shops when all of a sudden some random women approached me and handed me a backpack and asked me to hold on to it for a few minutes while she ran to her car. I agreed and she disappeared around the corner. About five minutes later, as I was about to put the backpack down and ditch it I heard sirens that were getting closer. I looked over my shoulder and there were a bunch of cop cars speeding towards me. I dropped the backpack and started running because right then Mr Speed got out of the car and started shouting at me. I had panicked and I now realize that if I had stayed put I wouldn't be in so much trouble...