Chapter 8: Invasion from an Unexpected Quarter

This man is the most odious person I have ever met in my life.

William, not Will, Collins, arrived exactly on time. I would usually take this as a good sign. Punctuality is a good indicator of if someone is respectful and put together. However, William is not exactly what I would call "put together". He isn't all over the place or crazy, but he is extremely odious. The first thing he did upon entering was bow and "express his pleasure" at his being welcomed into our house. Mom enjoyed this immensely, especially because he went on to complement just about everything in our house, from the decorations to the people themselves. Now we sat at the dinner table while William informed us about his "most benevolent boss".

"Mrs. Catherine DeBourgh is the most gracious employer. She does not only own a very established restaurant in San Francisco, which caters to only the highest class clients, but she runs a virtual cuisine empire. And she has the most refined pallet, she can pick out a top shelf vin amongst an entire collection." William ranted.

"How interesting!" Dad added when the man finally took a breath.

"Yes, she is the most intriguing and successful women I have ever had the pleasure to meet. I am most blessed to have been given my position as manager of Rosings, the most exclusive restaurant in San Francisco, and dare I say the state." William continued.

It apparently doesn't take much daring.

"She does seem very successful. Does she have a family or does she devote all of her time to work?" Mom asks with interest.

"Oh she has a most distinguished daughter. Unfortunately her husband passed on many years ago, and I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but I'm sure he was just as impressive as his wife. Her daughter is just as discerning as her mother and I say, would have just a exemplary pallet. However she has the misfortune of being quite sickly."

"How unfortunate" Mom adds.

"Yes ma'am, but she is still quite a delightful young lady. Much like your lovely daughters." At this William gave a look over all of us, and I had the distinct feeling of being appraised like a leg of lamb.

"So what bring you to Los Angeles?" Mary asks.

"After having the misfortune to have lost my father, I had a wish to get to know my remaining family. So I got in contact with your father. I know him and my father were always at odds, but I find that rifts between families are so concerning, so I made it my objective to reconcile this difference."

"How admirable" Jane puts in.

Dinner continued in much the same manner, with William talking about himself and Mrs. DeBourgh almost non-stop, throwing in complements here and there which Mom thoroughly enjoyed. Then we moved to the living room and were trying to decide on a movie to watch. Lydia, Kitty, and Mom wanted to watch a romance, Jane and I were more inclined towards an action adventure movie. We made the mistake of asking William what he would prefer.

"I never watch fictitious movies. I suggest a documentary. I have just seen a most fascinating one about the history of cuisine in the Normandy region of France."

He continued to recount the entire history of such and such wine or style of cuisine. He didn't seem to notice that everyone had stopped talking and were now just staring at him. Lydia and Kitty in horror and Dad looking infinitely amused.

"How very erm.. informative," Jane said to break the silence.

Informative is one word for it, pretentious would be another.

It was ultimately decided that we had better forgo a movie as it was getting late and Jane and I had work in the morning and the others had school.

Jane works at the most adorable café in town. It is known for Jane's specialty- pastries. I keep telling her that she should do something more with her skills than work at café that reaps the benefits of her underpaid work.

After everyone has dispersed to their rooms, Jane and I spend a little time just talking about William Collins and our days in general.

"He seems very dedicated to his job," Jane points out.

"Yes, he is very blessed to have such an illustrious boss in Mrs. DeBourgh."

"Oh, Lizzy, there is no need to be so sarcastic."

"Well I am sorry my sarcasm offends you."

"No you aren't, now go to sleep," Jane laughs and turns off the lights.

A/N

I'm sorry this has taken so long to get out and that it is so short. Now I have gotten an outline and know generally what is gonna take place, so hopefully I will get the chapters out more regularly. I hope you enjoy and next chapter you meet someone new.