Chapter 01

"And there came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's mightiest heroes and heroines found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, the Avengers were born --not fight the foes no single superhero could withstand! Through the years, their roster has prospered, changing many times, but their glory has never been denied! Heed the call, then -- for now, the Avengers Assemble!"
✖️✖️✖️

Nick Fury and Maria Hill step off of a helicopter on a heli pad and they find Agent Phil Coulson waiting for them.

"How bad is it?" Nick Fury asks the agent.

"That's the problem, sir," Agent Coulson replies. "We don't know."

Agent Coulson leads Fury and Hill into the facility, passing some fleecing technicians. The technicians are taking only the essentials.

"Dr. Selvig read an energy surge from, the Tesseract four hours ago," Coulson claims.

"NASA didn't authorize Selvig to test phase," Fury states.

"He wasn't testing it, he wasn't even in the room," Coulson says. "Spontaneous advancement."

"It just turned itself on?" Agent Maria Hill asks the man.

"What are the energy levels?" Fury asks.

"Climbing," Coulson replies. "When Selvig couldn't shut it down, we ordered evac."

"How long to get everyone out?" Asks Nick Fury.

"Campus should be clear in the next half hour," Coulson replies.

"Do better," Fury demands and they continue walking deeper into the facility.

"Sir, evacuation may be futile," Hill says.

"We should tell them to go back to sleep?" Fury asks the woman.

"If we can't control the Tesseract's energy, there may not be a minimum safe distance," Maria tells the dark-skinned man.

"I need you to make sure Phase 2 prototypes are shipped out," Fury says.

"Sir, is that really a priority right now?" Hill asks.

"Until such time as the world ends, we will act as though it intends to spin on," Fury tells her. "Clear out the tech below. Every piece of Phase 2 on a truck and gone."

"Yes, sir," Hill replies and she looks at some nearby agents. "With me."

Nick Fury and Agent Coulson enter the radiation facility housing Tesseract. The area is cluttered with machines and people leaving.

"Talk to me, doctor."

Dr. Erik Selvig appears from behind a CMS machine, looking concerned. The Tesseract is flowing unusually brighter and a flare of blue shoots out, hitting random things in the room.

"Direction," Selvig greets.

"Is there anything we know for certain?" Fury asks.