A Trip to the Privy - Flash Fiction from @AngusEcrivain

The wind was biting, bitterly so, and it brought with it levels of visibility low enough that one might as well have been blind. That made little difference to Archie though. He knew the route by heart. That only made it odder, as far as he was concerned, when he tripped and landed facedown in the snow.

Cursing, he scampered around on his hands and knees, that he might uncover whatever it was that had caused him to trip.

Scraping the snow away with his hands he felt something solid, and very frozen. Unable to tell what the object was, though his words were lost to the wind he cursed once again.

Assuming it was something one of the crew had dropped during the resupply earlier that day with some effort he managed to dig it out of the snow, and held it under his arm as he got to his feet and continued his memorised route.

Why anyone had thought an outdoor privy was a sensible feature for a research station on an ice planet was something he wondered about every day but regardless, once inside and with the door closed behind him he placed the frozen object onto the counter while he used the facilities.

It was only when he had put himself away and sanitised his hands that he studied it more thoroughly.

"Oh fuck..."

Expelled breath hung ominously in the air, almost foreboding. For the object was a frozen head. Humanoid, though most definitely not human.