~ஏன் பெண்ணென்று...

1997

It was the framed picture on his bedside that he gazed at first before sparing a glance at his own reflection in the prudent square mirror on his dresser

Harish combed his hair back and faced the mirror even as he heard his father switch on the radio. Despite being in his cubicle upstairs, he could visualise his father reclining on the rocking chair, closing his eyes for a smoke as he mentally clears his mind from the travails of being a government doctor before his next shift starts. He still had a few hours to go, and he would tend to the rose gardens next.

A very predictable, organised routine, unlike his son.

The only trait Harish inherited from his father would probably be his dry sense of humour and the need to keep his place tidy.

But unlike him, his father had a truckload of ambition and dedication, no surprise he was one of the most renowned doctors in the city. Harish meanwhile had completed B.Sc and kept postponing his fathers offer to get himself enrolled as an MBBS graduate.

Studying wasn't his problem, he was fascinated by all that he could learn in psychology but then it would engulf all his time. But he would miss his friends...

...And seeing off his Sandhya gracefully perched in the window seat of 16A.

He whistled lowly as he put on his shoes, his father could hear him leaving and he sensed that Harish was in a hurry by the way he was hopping on one leg, trying to put on his new shoes.

Chandrasekar cracked his eyes open just to acknowledge his son leaving and Harish smiled, waving at him happily. His father didn't ask him about his whereabouts so early in the morning because he knew that he was attending Computer classes for a course.

Heck, he probably had more than a hunch about Sandhya because of that unsent letters that he'd stored in the pocket of his shirt which he had carelessly tossed for the laundry.

About the computer classes, he wasn't lying. He was doing a course on C++ and COBALT.

But it was one hour later. He would get on 16A and ride to Women's Christian College with Sandhya--of course, he would be sitting in the gents' side and she would be perched obliviously by the window but it was still worth it.

Then he would catch another bus from her college to Mount Road to Balamurugan's Modern Computer Centre. None of his friends cared for his pursuit of knowledge and wouldn't accompany him to the classes. But they would catch up with him later for a masala tea from the local vendor and ramble on about the mundane things in each other's life.

Then they would roam on the beach for a while and shoot balloons down or take a dip in the sea.

Those activities were usually very conveniently unperturbed since everyone would be occupied with their daily travails of education and employment in the daytime.