[The reveal]

Sat on the cold, cobble stairs - snow blanketing them, a love-stricken teenager and an alluring, pale faced half-elf were sat together, knees almost touching. Emilia - the elf girl, briefly glanced around. She attempted not to move her head too much or too quickly, however the ample amount of silver hair cascading down her shoulders made her movements obvious. Once she confirmed no one was close to them, she returned her mauve gaze to Subaru's lips, earning a befuddled glance from the latter.

"What's up Emilia-tan? Your cute face looks troubled?" The spiky haired boy perked up, wearing his usual smirk. Emilia's paper-white face darkened to a faint red, it circled around her cheeks and trailed up to the tips of her ears like paint.

"So.. Subaru.. you said you love me.. right?" Her feminine voice whispered, cutting cleanly through the air and making its way into Subaru's ears. He realised the sound before the reality of what she said sank in. His face turned as red as his love intrests'. He straightened his back and laid his hard working hands on his knees.

"Yes. I love Emilia-tan very much." Was his reply. Subaru stared at the girl, waiting for the remainder of her sentence.

"W-well.. that makes me soooo soo happy... but..." The way her words trailed off gave Subaru a sickening feeling in his stomach. The contradictory 'but' usually follows in disaster when used with something good preluding it. Subaru could only think of one ending to her sentence: 'Let's just be friends'.

"I did mention it before, but I'm putting all of my ultra manly effort into getting you to notice me."

"I'm— That makes me really happy.. but even when you say these things to me, I don't really understand what it means to like someone like that.." Head shamefully angled down, she pressed the tips of her slender index fingers together.

Subaru said nothing.

Emilia continued to speak however. "It was the same in the carriage.. and-and in the tomb.. You're telling me you love me, but I don't have anything I can tell you.. I know it's suuuper super terrible of me.." Hearing her sentence reach its feeble end, Subaru placed his fist to his chest in relief. Emilia's answer to his sudden confession was still in standby mode. Meaning nothing had changed from before, which is fine. As long as Subaru's persistent love confessions haven't sickened her, this is fine. Subaru will offer Emilia his hand when she needs it, provided she gets stuck enough to need it. That's the slight discord between Subaru and Emilia's recognition of the others feelings.

Subaru was snapped out of this thought pattern once Emilia raised her voice. "But! I think we really need to talk about the baby in my tummy!"

Subaru sat still, dumbstruck.

"..Pardon?"

"I don't know if it's a boy or girl yet, but either way, we have to shower them with love! But I was never taught that, so I don't know how to do that.. That's why I decided to talk to the father!"

"..No, no, no, no, wait, wait, wait, wait." Subaru's mind couldn't catch up with how fast the flustered beauty was speaking. The speed of Emilia's speech had also rendered her breathless, and Subaru could clearly see that she was agitated. There was no way they could sort things out like this. "Emilia-tan, take deep breaths and calm down a second. I'm doing that now, taking deep breaths to calm down. Oh look. There's snow over there." Subaru squat down, scooped up a hand full of snow and smacked it into his face in order to physically cool himself down. He could hear Emilia breathing deeply to his side, just as instructed, as he forced himself to think rationally. The baby is in Emilia's tummy. Emilia is the mother, and Subaru is the father. He didn't get it. Subaru's coming of age still had yet to happen. "Emilia-tan, when you say a baby, you mean an infant, right?"