•summer

Something changed that night. Mark felt an odd need to help Johnny in any possible way. He started bringing Johnny dinner at least twice a week because the older lacked the desire to get up some days. Johnny completely shut everyone out and hid from the world. Ten was gone, and it seemed like part of Johnny was too.

This wasn't how Mark wanted to start his sophomore year, but he'd have to deal with it. The whole group seemed to understand the situation, and no one mentioned anything around Johnny. It was a miracle that Johnny even stayed. Mark was going to take any miracles he could get.

Mark never let Johnny be alone no matter how much the older would insist that he was okay. He acted like Mark couldn't see his bloodshot eyes and the dark circles that underlined them. Mark couldn't let him go. He refused too.

-

The months only dragged on. Johnny was getting better though, and that mattered more to Mark than time. He was finally joking and teasing with Mark like he used to. He and Doyoung were back to their normal bickering ways as well. Of course, Johnny still struggled, but he knew he had outlets.

Mark became more of a prominent person in Johnny's life. They were always together if they could be. However, Mark didn't mind. Donghyuck had moved out over the summer so, now Mark was alone in an apartment bigger than what he needed. Johnny could come over at whatever given time, and Mark could care less. Mark genuinely loved Johnny's presence as much as the older depended on him.

-

However, things went downhill whenever a year came around. Johnny was almost acting worse than he use to. This time, Mark was excluded. Johnny stayed home, not letting anyone in or talking to anyone. It was draining, and Mark was hurting. He hadn't realized that Johnny had begun to have such a big impact on his emotions.

Now, Mark genuinely felt alone. Despite the few times that people would come in the morning to check on things, Mark was alone. Johnny would usually come up early and help Mark with everything, but now even he was gone. Donghyuck, Taeil, and Yuta joined occasionally which, Mark was thankful for. He couldn't do it all alone.

-

It's been four months since Mark last saw Johnny. He'd finally started talking again over the phone, but never in person. It was tearing Mark apart. It hurt more than Mark could imagine. It hurt almost as much as his brother leaving him.

He was exhausted. Mark wanted nothing more than to be home rather than doing the morning duties.

"Hi coach," Mark greeted weakly.

"Morning Mark!" He greeted cheerfully.

"You're oddly energetic," Mark observed, raising an eyebrow. "Where the keys?"

The coach smirked, "Oh, a freshman accidentally left them in the concession stand."

The coach was in on something. He never smiled this much or have a mischievous glint in his eye. Mark just nodded and turned on his heels to walk outside. Whatever he was hiding, Mark needed to find it out.

The door was already slightly opened when Mark arrived. Carefully, he opened the door and peeked inside. Mark felt his heart drop. There, sitting on the counter with his legs swinging under it, was Johnny.