16- Ball.

I let out a breath.

"Nervous?" One of my guards asks, curious. I look at them.

"Yeah. Always nervous for these types of things. You should know this by now." I say, chuckling. He nods.

After a few minutes, I walk into the gala. Everybody stops what they were doing and looks at me. I smile at them all.

"Hello. If you don't already know who I am, then that's a shame." I say, frowning. Some of them laugh. "I gotta admit, I was nervous about this entire thing. This is like the first time in my entire life that I got to plan something this big. Nervous, right?" My eyes connected with Blake's. "Tonight we're celebrating the new buildings being built in Russia, Japan, China and etc. We're expanding." A smile formed on my lips and others. "I hope we can expand more. With more buildings. We're gonna have a good future in store for us. Now, thank you and have a good night. Celebrate with the open bar or dancing."

I go down the steps and go over to Blake and the others. They smiled at me.

"How do you feel?"

"I feel good. Why wouldn't I?" I ask, confused. Lucian shrugged. "How is everything?"

"Everything is good. Wonderful." Bethany says, coming over to us. She pulled me into a hug and I hugged her back. "Everything is perfect, M."

"He'll be proud of you, you know?" Blake says, rubbing my shoulder. I smiled at them and pulled back from Bethany.

"I know." I say, softly.

I mingled a little bit. After a while, a huge weight came down on my shoulders. I was stressing and overthinking again. A problem I have nowadays.

I was leaning against a balcony I found. A cigarette hung between my fingers. Someone came out and took it, putting it up to their lips. They breathed it in and handed it back to me.

"Why aren't you in there? You are the host of the event." Lucian asks, looking at me. I looked at him and he saw the tears in my eyes.

"I need you to do something for me." He furrowed his eyebrows.

"Maeve, are you going to do something stupid?" I shake my head. "You can come to one of us if you are, you know?"

"I know. I won't do anything stupid." I say, quietly. I put the cigarette out and dug through my clutch. I found what I was looking for and gave it to him.

"Credit cards? Why are you giving me credit cards?" He asks, confused.

"If I go to jail or if I die, I need you to give these to them."

"Are you going to do something stupid?" I shake my head.

"No. I just need to know that if something happens to me, you need to give these to the people. Adaline and Demitri won't get theirs until they reach 18. The others can get them right away."

"Maeve-"

"I know, okay. I'm not doing anything stupid. I just need to know if they will be fine if I'm not here any more. With our birthday coming up, I'm just scared. Alright? I need reassurance that if I leave this state or anything like that, you will give this to them." He looks at me. "Lucian, you have to promise me that you will give this to them." He took a deep breath.

"I promise, Maeve." He says, after a while. I nod.

"I'm gonna take off. I'll be safe. I promise." I say, kissing his cheek. He was about to say something when I left.

--

I knock on the door. After a few minutes, Gwen opened the door. She saw me and I looked away from her.

"Y-You said I could come over and get whatever I wanted, right?" I ask, softly.

"Come in, Maeve." She opened the door wider and I slowly stepped in.

"Sorry I didn't bring Adaline. She was asleep, I think." I say, quietly. She nods.

"Do you want company?" She asks, softly. I shake my head.

"I-I want to do it by myself." She nods.

"You can stay as long as you want. Take your time, M." I go up the steps and slowly go down the hall towards his bedroom. I stood outside his door and slowly opened it. His scent came out, bringing tears to my eyes.

I go in and look around. Memories were everywhere. I touched his dresser that collected dust over the time.

I go over to his closet and open it. I reached up to the top of it and patted around until I found it. I grab it. I sit down at the edge of his bed, opening the box.

Tears welled up in my eyes and a few escaped. I smiled at the pictures. I sat it down on the bed and stood back up.

I don't remember when I left. It was after midnight. I took everything that I wanted. From pictures or clothes or his jewelry. I took a lot of things.

--

I walk into the mansion around noon the next day. Angel looked at me and I raised an eyebrow.

"How was your fair?" I ask, curious. Her eyes lit up.

"I got a scholarship!" She says, excitedly.

"To where?"

"Columbia. They really liked my artwork and writing." I raised an eyebrow.

"Writing?" I ask, confused.

"Oh, I sampled some of my writing in my project. They really liked it."

"That's good, right?" I ask, curious. She nods. "Did you want Columbia?"

"I could care less about what scholarships people offered."

"I'm sorry I missed it." She shrugs.

"It's okay. How was your business trip?" She asks, eyeing my clothes. I was in the clothes I had on yesterday.

"Good. Got another business deal." I wasn't lying about that. I did get another business deal but not in the way I liked it. Wasn't with my company but with my mafia.

"Really? That's exciting. Can you tell me about it?"

"Let's just say, I'm gonna get a lot more money in the next few years." I say, smiling. I signed on with another gang. Three large gangs. I'm growing. I'm at the top of the food chain. All it takes for me to fall is for me to die. Then that shit will screw up everything else. Especially with all the people in the mafia.

"We should celebrate!" She says. I cast my eyes downward.

"How about we celebrate you instead." I say, frowning. She frowns.

"Why-" She gets cut off by Damien shutting the front door.

"Oh, if it isn't Maeve. How was your business trip?" He asks, coldly. I opened my mouth.

"She got a deal! Isn't that exciting?" Angel says, happily. Damien looks at her then at me.

"What deal?" He asks, curious.

"A deal." I say, looking at him. He raised an eyebrow and I did the same. He rolls his eyebrows.

"Whatever. You ready, Angel?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Where are you guys going?" I ask, confused. Angel looks at me.

"Oh, we didn't know you would be back until later. We're gonna go bowling. You're welcome to join if you want." I opened my mouth.

"She's busy, Angel." Damien grits out. I looked at him. "Aren't you, Maeve?" I knew what he was doing.

"No. I'm not."

"It's okay if you are. Besides, we didn't know you would be home." Angel says, coming over to us. "I'll see you later, Eve. Love you." I watched as both of them left.

"I'm not even busy." I mumble.

I go up the stairs and go into my room. I set my bag down on the bed and sigh.