Chapter 49: Holy City

This chapter is brought to you by 忘れじの言の葉 / Forgotten Words by DAZBEE. 

Edited by: bafflinghaze

---

The man winced as he felt a sharp pain in his head.

He had been walking. The entourage of priests and priestesses that followed his every step were annoying, but it was, nonetheless, a leisurely walk.

It became a not-so-leisurely walk when he heard the cries of alarm.

There was a commotion near the gates; lots of shouting and screaming. The man turned toward the entrance and tried catching a glimpse of what was happening.

Someone picked up a body on the ground and started running.

Huh.

"Your Eminence, are you alright?"

His attention was brought back to his group of followers. They immediately surrounded him like pigeons to bread and voiced their concerns like well-rehearsed thespians.

The weather was too warm.

They should have brought a parasol.

Why did he insist on walking? They would have gladly carried him on the sedan chair.

None of them paid any mind to the chaos happening near the gates.

Honestly, he thought, helpless. Was he the only one worried about what was going on over there?

"I'm alright." He tried to reassure them with a smile, as if he hadn't fainted last week.

"It is too hot, Your Eminence. Your face is turning red. Shall we go inside?"

Before he could object, they hurried him back to his chambers.

In the back of his mind, he couldn't help but wonder about the strange feeling he had when looking at the gate.

---

Aurelion was on a cliff. Below, violent waves were crashing against the stone. The sky was dark and grey, and rain pelted against his skin.

His clothes were soaked through, his hair was wet, and it was difficult to see through the rain.

There was a familiar figure standing at the edge of the cliff, staring at him with pity while blood seeped from thin pale fingers trying to put pressure on a stab wound.

"Aurelion," his brother said, voice soft. Gentle. Heartbreakingly sad.

There was a trail of blood that followed Nazareth to the edge. He stood there, however, and watched him.

A strange anger surged through Aurelion's body as he met his brother's gaze.

He took a forward step, his grip tight around his heavy sword, intending to finish what he had started.

His brother took a step back. A few steps more and he would fall.

—And for some reason, Aurelion felt elated at the thought.

Confusion stirred in the back of his mind.

What was happening?

His brother continued to bleed, face twisting lightly when he moved. His hand was soaked through and no amount of pressure was going to help the injury.

Belatedly, Aurelion wondered, did he do that?

Why?

"It's not your fault!" his brother yelled, voice nearly lost in the rain. "It's okay, Aurelion. Everything will be fine."