PART 6 || THE TEMPER OF A WOLF

As we walked back to the camp I looked over to Rose. It was tearing me apart inside seeing tears in her eyes. And it was all my fault.

I felt Fili put a hand on my shoulder as I sat down. He must have heard our conversation. It was comforting knowing someone wasn't blaming me. I loved these two. They've helped me through thick and thin and even now when I have...family problems.

I looked up at Fili giving him a grateful smile. He started nodding over to Rose and I know exactly what he meant. I got up and slowly walked over to Rose. This was going to be interesting. I sat down beside her hoping for the best.

"Rose I'm..." But I didn't get to finish as she glared at me, got up and moved the other side of the fire.

And she hates me.

Spectacular.

I did the only thing I knew that would calm me down. I went over to Luna's saddle, got my guitar and walked over to sit beside Kili.

As I started to pluck the strings I could feel all eyes turn to me. I played an old song that many wolf bloods have ingrained into they're mind.

"Down they fell like the children of Eden,

Down they fell like the tower,
as the land relinquished her ghost,
Heed the sirens, take shelter, my lover,
Flee the fire that devours,
But the sight held me fixed like a bayonet against my throat

Neither plague or famine tempered my courage, nor did raids make me cower,
But his translucent skin made me shiver deep within my bones,

It was a pale white horse,
With a crooked smile,
And I knew it was my time,

It was the raging storm of a foreign war,
And a face I'd seen before..."

After while, I looked around and everyone was asleep except Kili, Fili and...Rose. She looked at me, not with hate, but with knowing. It didn't take long though, as she soon turned around and fell asleep.

Kili looked at me with a small smile on his face making me blush. He's too cute...Oh no. Did I just...no, shut up. Bad Cara. Very bad.

"You still haven't forgotten that song have you...do you miss your father?" He said looking me in the eye.

"Yeah...he still plays it too us it to us...sometimes. Usually if Rose has had a nightmare about..." I stop of realizing what I had said.

"About what?" Kili asks sounding concerned.

"Oh it's nothing. Doesn't matter." I say hoping he'd just drop it.

"Alright." Kili says as if he heard my thoughts. 'Oh-uh....he's psychic'. I think as I start yawning uncontrollably. Where did this fatigue come from.

"Cara you look exhausted. We've been riding all day. You need to sleep." Fill said with Kili nodded in agreement.

"...if I must I must" I said getting up and snuggling into my pack beside Fili and Kili.

But my slumber was soon interrupted. I jolted awake hearing a screech coming from the valley.

"What was that?" Bilbo says scurrying over to the of the fire.

"Orcs" I say standing up, smelling the air. I could smell their foul stench from a mile away.

"O-Orcs "Bilbo said stuttering as he went.

"There'll be dozens of them out there. The low lands are crawling with them." Fili said trying to frighten poor Bilbo. Honestly.

"They attack in the wee small hours of the night

"They attack in the wee small hours of the night. Quick and quiet. No screams. Just lots of blood,"Kili said joining in. They both snigger as I step towards them, the gold in my eye burning bright.

"Honestly, you think a night raid by Orcs is a joke," I say looking to Rose.

She was trembling a little. I had an extra blanket from my pack which I wrapped around her. She gladly accepted it.

"We didn't mean anything by it," Kili says with a guilty look.

"No you didn't. You know nothing of the world." Thorin says as he walks of the edge of the valley. Hang on...when did he walk up.

"Don't mind him, laddie. Thorin has more cause than most to hate orcs. After the dragon took the Lonely Mountain, King Thror tried to reclaim the ancient dwarf kingdom of Moria. But our enemy had got there first. Moria had been taken by legions of Orcs lead by the most vile of all their race: Azog, the Defiler. The giant Gundabad Orc had sworn to wipe out the line of Durin. He began by beheading the King."

Flash backs of father coming home from the battle without my mother filled my mind. I was 10 years old when it happened and Rose was only one. I didn't understand why she had just gone. It just didn't make sense. When I was old enough father tried to explain to me that my mother was slain in battle. I dipped my head remembering, but it was enough for everyone to understand why. As Balin carried on the memories kept on coming.

"Thrain, Thorin's father, was driven mad by grief. He went missing, taken prisoner or killed, we did not know. We were leaderless. Defeat and death were upon us. That is when I saw him: a young dwarf prince facing down the Pale Orc. He stood alone against this terrible foe, his armor rent...wielding nothing but an oaken branch as a shield and a wolf by his side. Cara and Rose's father.

Azog, the Defiler, learned that day that the line of Durin would not be so easily broken. Our forces rallied and drove the orcs back. Our enemy had been defeated. But there was no feast, no song, that night, for our dead were beyond the count of grief. We few had survived. And I thought to myself then, there is one who I could follow. There is one I could call King." By now the whole company had awoken and stud to show their respect. My breathe shook as the memories flooded to my mind.

"But the pale orc? What happened to him?" Bilbo questioned sounding intrigued.

"He slunk back into the hole from whence he came. That filth died of his wounds long ago." He said releasing me and walking off to go and sleep.

I had decided that enough was enough and so I sat back against the wall of rock beside the boys and went into a deep dreamless sleep.

(A/N) Tadah....so there we have it.....I'm really getting into this story....I don't want it to end.

*sobs*
I miss Fili, Kili and Thorin.

~R.Wendigo