Let's begin

For Lucifer, Christmas held a whole another meaning right now. At the beginning, it used to not have a meaning at all, being just a silly holiday like all the others. Lonely humans would come up to Lux to drown in alcohol and have sex in order to forget their problems or just to ignore their lives.

A few weeks ago, it started meaning spending time with his family -his real, earthly family- and getting to see the joy in the little urchin's eyes while baking Christmas cookies or seeing the Detective's wide smile when looking at him and Trixie while decorating the grand Christmas tree.

Now, it meant the birthday of his daughter. The day he became a father. When he held Vera for the first time, it felt weirdly special. She felt special, not in the same way as the Detective of course, but there was something about her. He couldn't explain what it was exactly, but the instant connection that he felt when she grabbed his finger or when she was peacefully staying in his arms, glued to his chest, absolutely terrified him. In a good way this time.

It took years to accept emotions, his feelings for Chloe in particular, and now he was flooded with a mix of love and scariness towards his little creature that crowled her way into his heart in such a short time.

Those same emotions were felt again when he opened his eyes, shortly realizing where he was. He was not used to sleep alone anymore and he felt stupid for how much he craved for affection. Chloe was right there, a few feet away, peacefully sleeping.

He suddenly smiled.

He was happy that she finally got the sleep she deserved. Chloe was amazing -in all the ways possible. She deserved everything. He saw the pure happiness on her face when Vera was placed on her chest. If he thought more about it, he never saw her this happy, this accomplished. In the same time, this peaceful. And this alive, despite the tiredness that was slowly winning over her body.

For now, sleep was enough. Hopefully, it would give him enough time to prepare a little surprise. One very important thing that he learned from the urchin was that Christmas also meant presents. And he had spent the last few weeks trying to find the perfect gift for Chloe, something not too grandeous, but not too small.

But how could his gift be even close to what Chloe gave him? She gave him her full love, affection and acceptance. She gave him a child! A little creature with who they could share their love with.

It terrified him sometimes. He never was a family man. He never used to feel the need of being loved. And now, he couldn't ever imagine his life going back to the way it was a few years ago with his reckless behavior and orgies every night.

He carefully reached for the hospital bag, trying to not make any noise that would wake Chloe up. There, a little carefully wrapped box was lying between Vera's onesie, pacifier, scarf and so many other things. It contained something that Lucifer felt it was sentimental enough to be a right gift.

A few weeks ago, Chloe complained about how she lost a bracelet that was given to her by her mother. She wanted to wear it at their dinner, but that didn't happen, despite the determination that Lucifer had to find it. So, right in that little box that was now in his hand, there was a thin gold bracelet. It had a little pair of angel wings as a lucky charm, symbolising more than just him. Whenever he would look at them, his mind would immediately go to Vera, their little angel. Hopefully, Chloe will think the same.

Lucifer really hoped that she will like it. Of course it won't equate to the bracelet from her own mother, but he wished to be at least somewhere close to that feeling. Somewhere close to the happiness she gave him.

He didn't realize that he was holding that little box so tight in his hand that it started hurting. He put it in his right pocket and checked his phone. It was a little past seven, so he would definitely let the Detective sleep more.