Chapter 5: Paradoxical

I skimmed over Dumbledore's letter for a final time before setting it on fire with a spell and throwing it down into the sink. We were advised to destroy all communication, so after I read the letter, I always made sure to get rid of it unless it had something very important, like dates or locations. In this case, the letter was about Sirius.

Harry was supposed to move in with Sirius as soon as the school year was over, but now that he was gone, Harry was going to have to return to Privet Drive. We were trying to make sure that he was handling the grief as well as he could be. Of course, he was not going to be okay. He probably never really would be after all the kid had been through, but we needed to make sure that he didn't become reckless. He was angry but he was good at hiding it.

The Order was attempting to find a way to supervise Harry over the summer just in case Death Eaters attempted to target him while he was at his aunt and uncle's house. It was difficult for us to try to keep him safe because we weren't entirely sure what Voldemort intended to do. While Fudge had finally acknowledged his resurgence before stepping down, Voldemort himself had not been extremely active in his pursuit of Harry. If we could avoid dragging the Dursleys and other muggles into the war, we would, and in order to do that, we had to give Harry a bit more freedom. We advised him to be careful but that was the most that we could do for a while.

At the same time, Charlie and I had been anxiously awaiting any sort of indication of the state of things in Romania. We hadn't seen any sign of death eaters in the sanctuary, but we also hadn't seen anything against him since the ministry had acknowledged the situation. While this wasn't surprising for some of the people there, like the ones who had transferred from places that hadn't felt the effects of Voldemort's first rise to power, there were a lot of wizards from the United Kingdom at the sanctuary who seemed unaffected.

Cristian, who was born in Romania, never mentioned anything but did send out letters to everyone making sure that everyone was more conscientious regarding our safeties.

I was working almost twice as much as usual to build up time off to go to 12 Grimmauld Place.

"Alright, I'm done for the day," I announced as I grabbed my things.

"Okay, I'll tell Dmitri," Hana said from where she was seated. "Hey, are you doing okay?" she asked after a moment of silence.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I answered and paused in my spot. "Why?"

"Well, with your friend... I know that you're from Scotland and with... you know," she said vaguely. "It's just that things are kind of crazy but nobody's really talking about it."

"Oh, I'm fine. Thanks for asking," I said and smiled weakly. "It should all be fine."

"Listen, I didn't say anything about it before because... well, you never know whose side people are on but you can talk to me," she said and stood up to approach me.

"As you said, you never know whose side people are on," I said and took an apprehensive step backward.

"I'm not trying to- you know that I'm not on the other side," she said. "I'm a muggleborn."

"Hana, I have to go," I said. "I really don't feel comfortable talking about this."

Hana nodded and cleared her throat.

"I guess I'll see you tomorrow then," she said.

"Yeah, tomorrow."

I hurried out of the hospital and started walking back to the cabin until I couldn't fight off the urge to run back. Once I reached the cabin, I quickly slipped inside and shut the door behind me. I slipped the deadbolt into place before hanging my bag on the hook beside the door and venturing toward my room.