seven

Yerin saw the sadness in Hyunjae's eyes as they walked around the arcade. As they watched Juyeon and Hyewon play the games together. 

She remembered this part of her book. This was a turning point. Juyeon had basically confessed to Hyewon at the arcade when Hyunjae went to get everyone snacks. 

She was at the snack bar with him now, trying her best to stall for time. In her book, she'd written it so that when Hyunjae walked back with the snacks, he saw Juyeon kiss Hyewon. Part of her wanted to shield him from that heartbreak. He didn't deserve that. Not today. Not when he was already so sad. 

On the other hand, he had to experience that scene. If he didn't, it would mess up the progression of her book, wouldn't it? 

But hadn't she already messed up that progression? Hadn't her arrival already changed things? 

She wasn't sure. She really didn't know. She didn't know if the changes made by her would be permanent, or if her book would stay the same regardless of what she did. 

"Do you want anything else?" Hyunjae asked her. She had been stalling at the snack bar, staring at the menu. But she couldn't lie to him. She couldn't stop him from going. This had been what she'd written. She couldn't change it. 

After all, he was just a character, right? He was just in the book. He wasn't even real. 

Still, her heart broke for him when she looked up, smiled at him, and said "no, let's go back." She desperately hoped that her voice sounded light and airy. Cheerful. But it didn't, not even to her. 

Hyunjae didn't even seem to notice. He was too sad already. His character had come to an important realization: Hyewon didn't like him, not the way he liked her. And she never would. 

The two of them walked back to where Juyeon and Hyewon were waiting. 

And saw as Juyeon cupped Hyewon's face with his hands, and bent down to kiss her. They watched as her eyes fluttered closed, and she held onto his jacket, kissing him back. 

The snacks fell out of Hyunjae's hands. 

He dropped to his knees, going to pick up the snacks. But his eyes were shimmering with tears, and he couldn't take his eyes off of Hyewon and Juyeon. 

Yerin dropped to her knees beside him and picked up the snacks. She went to throw them away, and when she came back, Hyewon and Juyeon were gone. And Hyunjae was still on the ground. He was staring at the floor, the look of devastation on his face making her feel really, really bad. 

"I never had a chance, did I?" Hyunjae whispered as Yerin crouched down on the floor beside him. "She only looked at Juyeon from the start." 

"I'm sorry," she told him, a tear falling down her cheek and she held onto his arm, pulling him up from the ground. "I'm really sorry." 

"Why are you sorry?" he whispered, standing up and finally looking at her. He brushed the tear from her cheek. "You didn't do anything." 

"It's all my fault," she said, the guilt making her heart hurt. "I didn't realize you'd be so hurt," she said, so softly that he wouldn't hear her. She watched his face, waiting, but he just looked confused. 

Because she must seem crazy, right? She was crazy, absolutely insane. 

"You're not the one who hurt me," he told her after a moment. "I hurt myself." 

She shook her head, more tears falling down her cheeks. "You should hate me. If I had any decency I wouldn't be crashing at your place. But... but I have nowhere else to go," she whimpered. 

Hyunjae reached forward, pulling her into his arms, and he held her as she cried. She could feel him crying too. 

She remembered what he'd said about needing a friend to comfort him. 

Gosh, why had she been so cruel? Why hadn't she thought of that before? What was wrong with her? She was a terrible person, really. That's probably why she ended up stuck in her book, stuck in an endless cycle of guilt. 

"I'll be your friend," she whispered into his chest. "I'll make you happier, I promise. And when I get out of here, I'll write it in. Hyunjae... you won't be alone again," she cried. "I'm so sorry."