Traitor

A/N: I can hardly believe I'm getting close to the end of writing this story. I'll hopefully be finished in the next few days... Now, for a big surprise this chapter...

March 29th, 1994

Liz's POV

"He's agreed to go," Courtney told me over the phone. I felt weird talking to her about Kurt again, but it had happened a good bit over the last few days.
She had staged an intervention to try to get Kurt to go to rehab. She had wanted me to actively participate, but after the day that Kurt had told me he would try for me, I felt that I didn't want to push any further.
"Oh, thank goodness," I answered Courtney. I knew he had been stubborn as all hell with them. I had talked with both Dave and Krist in the few days prior and they both were obviously very stressed too. We all just wanted Kurt to get better.
Arrangements were all set for him to go the next day. He wanted me to come along, but I didn't want to cause any more trouble for him and Courtney, who would surely be going through it when it came to media attention.
"I'm really scared, Liz," Kurt admitted to me over the phone.
"I know, Kurt, sweetheart. But it's going to be okay."
"What if I can't do it?"
"You won't know unless you try."
"Are you going to come and visit me?"
"I—I don't know, Kurt. I'd like to, but I don't want to make things worse with the media."
"Courtney said she'd get you cleared to visit. I can't go without seeing you, Liz. I'm going to need you." I stayed silent. Here I was. This is exactly what I had told Kurt I wouldn't do. And yet I couldn't promise him that I would go. I was still a coward.
"I'll try, Kurt," I answered. "I'll try and you'll try. And eventually we'll work this all out, okay?"
"I guess so." Kurt didn't sound optimistic.
"I love you so much, Kurt. I'm so proud of you."
"I love you too," he said simply, and we got off the phone.
"Who were you talking to?" I jumped a mile at the sound of Craig's voice. I hadn't heard him get home.
"I—I...um, it was..." I was on the spot and had too much on my mind. I couldn't think.
"Kurt, I think I heard you say?" Craig continued, pacing closer to me. His tone was off and it gave me chills. I noticed he was holding something in his hand. A photograph. "Not Kurt Cobain by any chance?"
"What?" I snapped. What was happening? Craig held up what was in his hand, revealing the photograph I had found under the sofa the other day. "That picture is from years ago, Craig. Years."
"You think I'm really fucking stupid, don't you, Lizzie?" I froze, not knowing what to say. What did he know?
"You think I don't know about you sneaking around, cheating on me with that pig?" Craig scoffed as I felt the color drain from my face. He leaned closer to me. "You think I'm so nice and naive. You think I'd marry you after you ran off to him the night we got engaged? You think I'd just let you travel to Europe for no reason at all while he was touring there?"
"But how... what?" I was too shocked to form a sentence.
"I've known for years, Lizzie." His dark eyes were almost black with hatred when they met mine.
"Then why are you still with me, Craig? Why?" I demanded, anger and shame welling up in me. Craig chuckled, leaning back against the counter.
"Are you kidding me? You were a gold mine. Those pictures of you and Kurt Cobain in your shoebox? I've known about them since college. And when he started becoming even a little famous, I knew I could make money off of them. But I never could have guessed it would get this good."
"What do you mean?" I demanded.
"You think you've kept your affair all under wraps. I've got the whole thing documented, Lizzie. I have the photos to prove it. I still can't believe how stupid you thought I was."
"I don't believe you," I answered, shaking all over.
"Well you will tomorrow," he answered.
"What does that mean?" I demanded.
"Come here and have a look at my computer screen, if you will." Craig motioned behind him, where he had an article pulled up— an article titled "My Fiancee's Affair with Nirvana's Kurt Cobain". The first photo I saw at the top was very clearly Kurt and I entering one of the local motels we'd stayed at a few times. I didn't need to see anymore. I was going to be sick.
"How did you get those pictures, Craig?" I demanded.
"How do you think?" He answered.
"You stalked me?" I shrieked. Craig shrugged.
"Anything for the story."
"What do you want from me?" I demanded.
"I've gotten everything I want from you. You've given me more than I ever could have asked for."
"You're sick, Craig."
"I think you're the sick one. But we'll find out tomorrow. Every media outlet that's worth anything will be reporting on this story. It's a done deal."
"Please don't do this now," I begged.
"You mean right at the start of blondes-boy's rehab stint? What better time?"
"How do you know about that?" I demanded, angry tears burning my eyes.
"Sweetheart, I know everything." Craig let out a sarcastic laugh.
"Please don't do this right now," I begged again, desperately, thinking more of Kurt than myself. He couldn't handle this right now. I wasn't sure I could either.
"Oh, sorry, Lizzie, but it's already a done deal." Craig forced a fake smile at me.
"Fuck you, Craig. We are done!"
"We were never anything to begin with," he retorted.
"Get the fuck out of here!" I shouted at him. "Get the fuck out! I never want to see you again!"
"I'm not leaving, Lizzie. This is my apartment."
"Fine. I'll go," I answered, darting to the bedroom and packing as much as I could into a large duffle. Adrenaline fueled me. I could hardly believe what was happening, but I would not let it mess up Kurt's treatment.
I would find somewhere else to stay. This was the last thing I needed right now. It was the last thing any of us needed.